Italeri Kfz 305 Opel Blitz with Tamiya 20mm Flak 38 MIT Sd.Ah.51

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
And now that I am catching up I figured that a picture of Dr Jones in a pink bathrobe might have shown up from the rabble crowd here Thanks to JR.... and of course some more of your masterpiece detailing updates and the start of the next phase. Bravo Steve...always worth waiting for updates!!!! Fantastic work
Joe.
We have standards to keep ! :smiling2:
John .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Fernando - Cheers mate. It's gone well this week also:thumb2:
Guy - You cant beat a good gun can you!:smiling2:
Tim - Many thanks. More to come later.
JR - Ah :poop:! The secret is out. Hopefully no one will notice. We had better keep it to ourselves. I will send you the usual thick white envelope of money:smiling2:
Joe - I appreciate the support. Good on Brooks for his win at the weekend:thumb2:
Paul - I cant believe how well its gone. I am very pleased so far
Andy - Good of you to have looked in on the build. Hopefully life will deal you a better set of cards soon
JR - I have standards! They are not just as high as other peoples:smiling5:

In between all the sport I have done most of the base colours. Hopefully I will have a chance to do an update sometime this weekend. Happy modelling everyone

Steve

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fernando - Cheers mate. It's gone well this week also:thumb2:
Guy - You cant beat a good gun can you!:smiling2:
Tim - Many thanks. More to come later.
JR - Ah :poop:! The secret is out. Hopefully no one will notice. We had better keep it to ourselves. I will send you the usual thick white envelope of money:smiling2:
Joe - I appreciate the support. Good on Brooks for his win at the weekend:thumb2:
Paul - I cant believe how well its gone. I am very pleased so far
Andy - Good of you to have looked in on the build. Hopefully life will deal you a better set of cards soon
JR - I have standards! They are not just as high as other peoples:smiling5:

In between all the sport I have done most of the base colours. Hopefully I will have a chance to do an update sometime this weekend. Happy modelling everyone

Steve
Nice one mate , I shall be wearing my rubber suit as normal so nothing to worry about, the only worry is Allen in that Father Christmas Outfit.
JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Nice one mate , I shall be wearing my rubber suit as normal so nothing to worry about, the only worry is Allen in that Father Christmas Outfit.
JR

Well, While we are off subject here, Santa always said I was a "Ho, Ho, Ho"...……...But don't worry, be happy!!!

Stevie, You are really doing a super job here and it looks even better with some color on it. It won't be long now and it will all come together. Really good stuff Buddy!!!

Prost
Allen

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

John/Allen - Santa in a rubber suit! Now some people would pay good money for that:smiling5:. As for the wet stuff steady progress is being made:thumb2:

As a reminder the stage we are at is doing the base coats and the high and low lights. The jerry cans have been done with a selection of sand and brown colours

IMG_0166.JPG

The wheels were done with Dark Rubber

IMG_0165.JPG

Oops forgot the padlocks? Anyhow the rest of the underside of the flatbed was done with red on the rear reflectors. The grey coming through the yellow will be a key part of the build and this has been achieved at an early stage in some instances. The mud guards were done in metallic black.

IMG_0146.JPGIMG_0168.JPG

Very little is done on the chassis as this will be taken care of with the oils. So the whole lot was covered in German Grey and then the usual rust effects were added to the exhaust

IMG_0140.JPG

The sledge has come out well. The frame has a rusty look and the Flak feet retainers are Steel washed with Black. The rest of the process will be explained in an SBS (What does that mean by the way???) on how to paint a flat bed later in the blog. This is now ready for the oil and dust work

IMG_0141.JPGIMG_0142.JPGIMG_0143.JPGIMG_0144.JPGIMG_0145.JPG

So things left to do are the cab and the highlights on the Flak which should all be done before kick off tomorrow. Happy moggelling everyone

Steve

D

Deleted member 6559

Amazing paint job on the wood Steve. Marvellous work all round.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Allen - DOH!! It's so obvious when you know. Cheers mate:thumb2:
Thanks Jim. However my pile of "Detailing fallen off and needs to be stuck back on" is growing:smiling:
Cheers Si:thumb2:
Scottie - It was better than expected and the oils on it should set it off a treat
Thanks Ross:thumb2:
Peter - Once you get a system going with the wood it works well. On my next builds I will try and improve the look until I am satisfied

Well I am happy to say all the acrylic work is now complete. The Flak base and Flak unit was highlighted with Sand Yellow

IMG_0170.JPGIMG_0169.JPG

The seat was painted in Brown Leather and then given a Red Leather wash which was sponge dried

IMG_0171.JPGIMG_0172.JPG

This gives you an idea on how all the contrasting colours will look

IMG_0174.JPGIMG_0175.JPG

Finally the cab. The cab roll was Buff highlighted with Dark Sand. The straps were Red Leather and Steel buckles

IMG_0168.JPG

The cab was highlighted with Sand Yellow and the interior was left German Gray. The seats were Dark Leather and then other various bits and bobs

IMG_0176.JPGIMG_0177.JPGIMG_0178.JPG

The whole build has now been fully covered in Matt varnish in preparation for the oil work. For those of you who follow my work you will remember I have had enough of Vallajo varnish as it cannot stand up to the rigours of oils. After all your input and other research I decided to try Winsor and Newton. There was an instant improvement with a better coverage and I look forward to seeing how it reacts to the oil work

IMG_0179.JPG

Off to the pub to watch the football so have a great afternoon everyone

Steve

Last edited:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Steve, great looking paintwork mate!:thumb2:
Really like how the sledge and truck bed have come out.:hungry:
Looking forward to see the weathering coming on.

Fernando

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
flatbed paint job is AMAZING..but so is the rest ...that flatbed woodgrain look :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:..really stands out for me

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
OH Boy this is perfection, nothing more nothing less.
The timber on the bed is exceptional.

JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Steve, shiver me timbers...the wood grain effect on the sledge is amazingly natural. The extra detail added is paying off under paint as well. :thumb2:

Regarding matt varnishes, I just had a session with coating my marine figures and it stinks to high heaven. I used Humbrol Mattcoat...works ok with the acrylics I painted the figures with.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Fernando - Thanks for the support mate. More weathering to follow:thumb2:
Joe - Many thanks. Its received some oils now as well to help it on its way
JR - It's going well - at the moment:smiling5:
Peter - Thank you gorgeous:smiling3:
Richard - So far so good. The varnish is doing its job:thumb2:

Incredibly the first stage of the oil work has gone well. Unfortunately the photos dont give it justice as oil work is quite subtle, but any how here we go.

Firstly I like to apply shading and tone. Some people like to use the dot method. I prefer a little more control and paint on each colour individually. Saying that I did use the dot method on the PAK 40:smiling5:

These are my colours which are applied with a moist brush dipped in artists turps.

IMG_0167.JPG

For the recess's my go too colour is Cadmium Yellow Hue. Then I blend that in with Naples Yellow Hue and finally on the raised areas White. Also along the way I have started doing a bit of dry brushing. Here are a few pictures to give you an idea

IMG_0168.JPGIMG_0169.JPGIMG_0170.JPG

The woodwork received a dry brush of Naples Yellow to help lighten them a little

IMG_0171.JPG

The rest of the build received similar oil work

IMG_0174.JPGIMG_0175.JPGIMG_0177.JPGIMG_0178.JPGIMG_0179.JPG

This was all left for a day (purely as I didnt have time to finish off) and blended in further using foam cotton buds. This will all be left for 7 to 10 days to dry fully before the oil washes are applied and there maybe a few surprises here as I am trying a new system:anguished:

While the oils were out I did some work on the base also

IMG_0180.JPGIMG_0181.JPG

Thank you all for your continued support

Steve

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

A quick update before the footy starts

After a week or so of drying I started on the pin washes. I like to do the chipping before I start however the Opel will be receiving a Panzergrau wash, then chipping followed by an Umber wash.

The next part shows you how to confuse a stupid person. A while back I spent some time in the craft shop deciding on which shade of Winsor Newton Grey OIL I should use for the OIL washes. I ended up with Graphite Grey. So today I got everything prepared ready to make my wash and to show you how I do them

IMG_0017.JPG

Spot the mistake??:smiling5: Even worse, it wasnt until I added the turps to thin it down and nothing happened, did I realise it was acrylic - DOH!!

So I was only able to do the Flak today. So the chipping was done in the usual way with brush and sponge.

IMG_0014.JPGIMG_0015.JPGIMG_0016.JPG

Next a Vandyke Brown Oil wash was made and added to the Flak and base. Then using a brush this was blended in after about half an hour of drying. Then a further half hour later I used a moist foam bud to clean up the raised areas and a dry foam bud to finish off the blending

IMG_0021.JPG

The Flak and base are now done and over the coming days further blending will be done to pick up on the bits I have missed or not happy with. Once fully dry this will be enhanced with a dry brush before the dusting process begins

IMG_0022.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0024.JPG

I like to try and add some streaks as I go. So with the shields a more liberal wash is done. Then this is blended in with downward strokes of a brush. Then after some more drying time the process is repeated. This will be finalised over the coming days as I repeat the process some more until I am happy with the look

IMG_0018.JPGIMG_0020.JPGIMG_0026.JPG

I also finished off the tarp and jerry cans. Also some colour was added to the base. A long way to go yet with this

IMG_0019.JPG

Thanks for watching

Steve