Items advice...

P

Polux

Hi friends.

I'm looking for a boat :oops:

I don't buy on internet, so, my possibilities are limited.

On the model shop I found some references.

Can the boat experts of this forum say me if they are a good items, please?

Ulises / Occre 61001 scale 1/30

Anteo / Mantua M743 scale 1/30

Forget!!! RC models, of course :oops:

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
ANTEO is a very nice looking tug and it calls to me every time I walk past it in the shop- It does also look like a good kit. I have had more than one look in the box.

Here is another that calls my name when I go by.

http://www.modelskibet.dk/product.asp?product=4346

http://modelskibet.dk/product.asp?product=63 also builds into a nice tug.

Why are you not shopping the internet...Hobby shops every where!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
The Mantua Anteo is a nice kit, but a a tad expensive if you're unsure of boat construction and RC.

The Big-D, my fishing boat that sank, look in the RC boats section is this:

Vacuum formed hull, no plank on frame, you build the wheel house and add the bits etc, easy boat to get started, largish also, and cheap-UK price £70 for the kit.

http://www.puffinmodels.com/product.php?prod=1683

You will also need motor, motor mount, propshaft, propeller, speed controller, transmitter and receiver and battery.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Mate what do you want to build , there are some pretty good kits of warships available online and not only that you can get everything from lifeboats to torpedo boats at decent prices I have a 1/72 flack schnellboot and it was only about £15 in real money which would make it about 12 monopoly euros , I'd look on line mate there some good stuff out there :smiling3:

P

Polux

Thanks for the info guys!

I suppose the hull of these boats is assembled, not? Is one piece on the Anteo Ian?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Anteo is plank on frame... Loads of glueing sanding and sealing.

There are some makers that do kits with glass-fibre hull and vac formed cabin etc...

Wood is good you just need patience.

Have a look at BillingBoats, they do some good sets.

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
As Ian points out it is plank on frame, so can be a pain, gluing, pinning, sanding etc. That is why I found the trawler, vac-formed one piece hull, easy to do.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
How about trying one of Italeri's torpedo boats. They are big and have an extra hard hull. Its a plastic kit just begging to be RC'ed-

Ian M

P

Polux

Hi Ian! Thanks ;)

I don't specially like the torpedo boats :oops: I prefer the Richard & Si style.

Anyway I know is a very interesting option!!

B

Bunkerbarge

Polux for your first boat you should be looking at a fibre glass hull. Plank on frame is quite a challenge not to be taken lightly and fraught with pitfalls for the first timer.

I would go for a kit to start with and preferably not too much scratch building required. Good kit manufacturers are as follows:

Mount Fleet Models: Fibreglass hulls, a pack of laser cut wood and white metal fittings. Usually in 1/32nd scale all making into nicely detailed period steamers including cargo vessels, tugs, barges and a couple of naval variants.

Dean's Marine: A very extensive range of kits using fibreglass hulls, vac formed parts, plasticard superstructures, white metal fittings. A lot of WWII naval vessels such as 1/96th scale destroyers but also some cargo ships and a couple of WW1 navy ships.

Model Slipway: Again fibreglass hulls and plasticard superstructure with white metal fittings. Mostly bigger models though which look very impressive on the water and loads of scope for detail

Mobile Marine Models: A range of tugs with a budget buying system but a bit more scratch building required on a fibreglass hull.

JoTiKa: A very extensive range of models, equipment, hardware, steam plant etc.

Model Dockyard: Same as above

Graupner: Big German kit manufacturer, huge range

Robbe: Same as above.

If you do not want to use mail order then you should go along to a show where the manufacturers may well be showing off thier range and have stuff available. Check out the show scene in such publications as Model Boat Magazine. There is a guy called Richard Simpson who does a really good column in there on model steam plant! :smiling3:

Unfortunately you will have to get to the UK to see the shows unless there is an active scene where you are.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
There is a guy called Richard Simpson who does a really good column in there on model steam plant! :smiling3:
Just read your latest efforts...Mr. Pillar drill... :smiling3:

P

Polux

I have been searching different information about clubs or similar. About less of two hours on car I have a good range of boat clubs. Maybe the most interesting is one that collaborate with a maritime museum.

Anyway the shops and boat models still very limited :sad:

I have discovered a show on november in France, is not to far from home...so maybe I will be go. If I found a good kit should be fantastic....I can build it during the winter and when the better weather comes, then just look for a good place to sail it.

I don't know exactly what I will do, I wish to have it...so maybe I do some madness O_o

Just a simple question....

For a normal boat you only need a simple 2 channels radio isn't it?

Ouch! Is a pity I sold all my RC equip some time ago... :sad:

Last edited:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You will get there Polux, there is something for you and you will do it justice.

Yes, just a two channel will do for forward/reverse/left/right.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would suggest that you get the best you can afford. Buy once.

You could start with a two channel, but you might find you need another later that can do more. A four Channel maybe would be good.

Ian M

D

Deleted member 3568

I think 3 channel rc I bought 5 channel and have never used all five occasionally 4 as for plank on frame if you go that way stick to tthe same wood for both skins ( i stupidly went for balsa first skin (I figured easy to sand and bend) then went for lime for the outer( figured harder wearing, take mor knocks than the balsa) went to bed all fine then the next day on all the curves the balsa had sprung (being weaker and less springy than the balsa) so had to strip it all off and start again) stupid mistake I wont make again.

P

Polux

Thanks for your comments ;)

I have one thing very clear...I want to build a boat O_o The "after" steps...well, I don't know if someday I will join on a boat club or if my home will be full of boats in a future :confused:

The other channels are for the lights or the steam smoke effect...?

D

Deleted member 3568

\ said:
Thanks for your comments ;) I have one thing very clear...I want to build a boat o_O The "after" steps...well, I don't know if someday I will join on a boat club or if my home will be full of boats in a future :confused:

The other channels are for the lights or the steam smoke effect...?
Yes other channels for lights working cranes sound effects on or off working figures round the decking just use your very good imagination, whatever you build is bound to be a winner

P

Polux

\ said:
Polux just to give you something to think about for your ship have a look around here:http://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk

The picture I posted earlier is of the Ben Ain, which is available in kit form from Mount Fleet
I took a look the first time you posted the brands Richard!

They have a magnificent range and look a very selective items.

Ahhh....I have many doubts now :smiling3:

The Anteo is the more easy option...but not the best one :confused:

Maybe I take my time and I do it the best way.... After looking the English calender, seems there are two important boat shows. Blackpool (october) and Warwickshire (november).

Maybe I need a holidays this year.... ;)

B

Bunkerbarge

Ellesmere Port in March is an excellent one as well. If you buy a magazine they are all in there or subscribe to a magazine and get the magazine on line, which may be even easier for you.