Japanese 1/72 double - Academy A6M5c & Hasegawa Kawanishi NiK2-J

D

David 317

Well here goes!

I am building of a brace of Jap Fighters.

Please feel free to give any comments or help! Pull no punches!

They are being constructed to be hung from my youngest sons bedroom ceiling so no landing gear!

I've made a start to the cockpits.

I am going to try a bit of weathering. Salt or Masking fluid? I'm not sure yet!

The Academy Zero is shown on the left of any photos when showing the corresponding parts from each kit.

Regards

David

View attachment 50573

View attachment 50574

View attachment 50575

_MG_8198.jpg

_MG_8197.jpg

_MG_8196.jpg

A

AJay

Hi David, I personally use masking fluid over a metallic finish but don't just put big blobs on.

I use it very sparingly and try to make random shapes and scratches in the areas that would naturally suffer the weathering, such as the wing roots where the pilot and ground crew climb about. The left side is usually more worn going by what I've seen. Also around hatches and so on. In 1/72 they will need to be tiny, so apply the masking fluid with a tiny tool; I use a miniature screwdriver or a cocktail stick.

I would study a photo of a real Zero (a wartime one, not a museum aircraft), and remember, less is more. I'm building that same A6M5 at the moment and went overboard with the chipping...haha.

In my gallery, look at the N1K2 and you can see the results of using masking fluid.

I know Trey does salt weathering so maybe he'll help with that. Good luck!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi david , i'd echo what alex says , give it a go but always do a bit less than you think , less really is more! Its all too easy to get carried away and do too much. The comparisons of the cockpits is interesting , the academy zero is far more detailed than the hasegawa george , cheers tony

D

David 317

Hi A,

Your N1K2 is superb! There seems so much more detail on 1/48 kit as compared to the 1/72.

Your aluminium base coat. Is that sprayed over a primer coat?

Also on my screen the undersides look metal & not IJN grey. My paint instructions ask for the IJN grey.

Regards

David

A

AJay

Thanks David!

Yes, I used grey primer, so as to make sure any bad seams showed up, and then sprayed my aluminium coat. Some N1K2s were not painted underneath, so your eyes are not deceiving you :smiling3:

Here's my 1/72 Zero build blog, scroll down to June 12th. http://jaysscalemodeladventures.blogspot.fr/

I don't know how much detail you want, but the A6M5 was built by Mitsubishi and Nakajima, so there are differences to look out for.

Cheers.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good David. Wow, that was a long interval.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Well here goes!I am building of a brace of Jap Fighters.

Please feel free to give any comments or help! Pull no punches!

They are being constructed to be hung from my youngest sons bedroom ceiling so no landing gear!

I've made a start to the cockpits.

I am going to try a bit of weathering. Salt or Masking fluid? I'm not sure yet!

The Academy Zero is shown on the left of any photos when showing the corresponding parts from each kit.

Regards

David
Have you considered using a chipping solution from Vallejo? I tried it on my Dauntless and was very pleased with the result, you can see my build thread here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/douglas-dauntless-sbd-3-5-in-1-72-by-airfix.27232/#post-213136

View attachment 99769

image.jpg

D

David 317

\ said:
Have you considered using a chipping solution from Vallejo? I tried it on my Dauntless and was very pleased with the result, you can see my build thread here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/douglas-dauntless-sbd-3-5-in-1-72-by-airfix.27232/#post-213136View attachment 101393
Rickoshea52 - Thanks for the hint. That is a nice Airfix Dauntless.

I think I am going to use the masking fluid on the Zero, and try to not go too mad.

D.

T

treyzx10r

Looking good David. Like Ajay stated earlier I'm a big fan of the salt method, to me it gives a more random effect with sharper 'chipped' paint appearance. Eager to see what you come up with the liquid mask tho,good luck.

D

David 317

Hi All,

Been busy with these two!

All primed, pre-shaded, Vallejo Aluminium, Humbrol mask for chipping then Vallejo 71.019 upper surfaces for both kits.

All followed with some post shading on individual panels.

Aluminium for the under surfaces on the NiK2-J. Also with some post shading on individual panels

Vallejo 71.0146 for the under surfaces on the Zero & Mr Hobby aqueous H063 for the wheel wells of the Zero.

I decided to close the wheel wells on the NiK2-J because of a lack of detail. The kit is going to be hung from my youngest sons ceiling.

Yellow strips were done with Revell Lufthansa Yellow.

All of these were then gloss coated using Humbrol Clear in readiness for panel line wash & decals etc.

I'm struggling to bring out the variation on the panels with my camera set up, so please excuse the number of repeat shots.

Enjoy!

D.

View attachment 100356

View attachment 100356

View attachment 100357

View attachment 100358

View attachment 100359

View attachment 100360

View attachment 100361

View attachment 100362

View attachment 100363

View attachment 100364

View attachment 100365

_MG_9134.jpg

_MG_9122.jpg

_MG_9124.jpg

_MG_9125.jpg

_MG_9127.jpg

_MG_9129.jpg

_MG_9131.jpg

_MG_9132.jpg

_MG_9138.jpg

_MG_9140.jpg

D

David 317

Hi All,

I had a decal session last night. I got some Kopro decals from the Czech Republic for the NiK2-J.

I used Microset/sol. All I know is I needed a lay down afterwards. The decals were very thin and settled down well but they were very fragile and tore very easily. Good thing the kids were in bed!

I struggled to get the yellow strips in the correct position before they grabbed on.

I'm again finding that the MicroSet/Sol can lift the paint, even under a gloss cote.

View attachment 100718

View attachment 100719

View attachment 100720

_MG_9157.jpg

_MG_9158.jpg

_MG_9159.jpg

D

David 317

Hi All,

Things have been moving slowing with my builds.

Here they are at the moment.

The NiK2-J has had a little detailing & weathering added is soon going finalised.

View attachment 103768

View attachment 103769

View attachment 103770

View attachment 103771

The Zero has moved on quite a way.

I had a few problems with the decals.

There was a double decal for the Hinomaru which made it very thick. When I came to do my panel lines the wash would not stay in the lines over the decal. I had to scribe the decal then highlight.

I also had a little silvering on the right wing which you can see in the picture below.

I may leave it or may add some more chipping to cover it. I'm not sure yet!

Thanks for looking!

D.

View attachment 103772

View attachment 103773

View attachment 103774

View attachment 103775

_MG_9165.jpg

_MG_9167.jpg

_MG_9168.jpg

_MG_9169.jpg

_MG_9173.jpg

_MG_9170.jpg

_MG_9171.jpg

_MG_9172.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good progress David, that Zero in particular is looking very good with its wear and tear.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow both looking great ,like how your done the dark and liter shading on green on the wings,

real like them, ;)