Jas-39 Gripen

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys and gals,

Ok, for todays model I had to choose between the Eurofighter Typhoon and the Jas-39 "Gripen". Well, you know that the italeri 1:48 scale gripen won out so I'll just get down to it. This model took about 3 hrs to build, paint and photograph. Its a nice model and for the most part the seam lines disappear as you build it.

I have been asked recently to show what the "off the shelf" cheap primer paint looks like, well here it is.....but with a laquer gloss coat over it.

Anyway, here she sits on the hood of my truck tonight:

Now the Eurofighter Typhoon by Revell Germany may be next, but i have a Doctors appointment tomorrow out of town so it will Probably be Tuesdat or later before I start another model.

Have a good day,

Greg

S

Schlissefahrt

Ever since joining these boards, you never cease to amaze me with these speed builds. I remember when I first looked at the picture forum for aircraft, and the first thing I wondered was: "Man, this Geedubya guy sure posts a lot of stuff here, I wonder if anyone else even uses this forum?" haha, now I know its because you are simply a speed building maniac (professional I might add :P ) Thanks for this latest addition, I always look forward to seeing your next project.

Although, there is one thing that has been slightly bothering me about all of your photos, and I am sure it has already been discussed, but the focus on most of your shots leaves something to be desired. Do you use a tripod? Is it a camera in need of a replacement? :P I am not trying to be too critical, I just wish I could see more detail on all the models you build. Thanks again.

-Alex

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Alex,

Well first let me thank you for the compliments on the various postings I have made of the 2 or 3 yrs I have been coming here.

Yes, you might say i am a "speed building maniac" lol but, when i get started I try to go ahead and finish a model....I guess its "whats left" of the kid in me (I am 43).... I want to see the finished product just as soon as I can.

And about the camera. Well this is an HP PHOTOSMART 3.0 megapixels that came as part of a "camera/printer" package. I have a tripod but the way I take photos is to get down to eye level with the model. Until my neck got to bothering me a few months ago, I was photographing all my models on the concrete driveway in front of my house, more recently however, unable to get down to ground level, I have been pouring water on the hood of my pick up truck and laying the camera on the hood "at eye level" with the model and photographing them that way, using a 2 million candlelight hand held spotlight and the cameras flash for the lighting for the nighttime pictures.

If you notice, most people take a photo of a model on a base of some sort usually from somewhere near a 45 degree angle above and to one side of the model. I think my method of photographing gives the feel of "standing infront of, or beside" the model. This really gives the models I photograph on the driveway a really nice appearance in my opinion.

But back to the camera, the whole "set", printer and camera cost me like $120 so its not the best in the world and i probably should buy a better one but if I spend money on a camera, it cuts down what I can spend on models lol.

And as far as wanting to see more detail.....well sometimes you would sometimes ya wouldnt. Being speed builds I dont usually paint any seat belts, harnesses or weather the aircraft i build, there are also the occassional fingerprints in the paint, not often, but they do happen. I rarely detail the instrument panel other than a quick drybrushing of white over a black console. This particular model if you will look closely has a couple of blemishes on the canopy where the super glue fumes marred the finish. They arent really noticible and this is one more reason i stick with this camera, its forgiving when it comes to defects but still has good enough clarity to get the job done. Another thing that might cause the photos to be less detailed is the distance from the models when photograph them, we are talking anywhere from 3 to 5 inches when I snap the shutter (just far enough back to get the entire model in the frame).

But anyway, give this style of photographing a try sometime, place a model out on the edge of the driveway and place the camera on the ground beside it, this is not an angle or setting the human eye is used to see a model its more like a person would actually see an aircraft, and it really gives you a different perspective.

again, thanks for the compliments and have a good day,

Greg

PS: for those who wonder, both shades of gray on this model are only primer paint, one machine gray and the other darker one, called "primer gray". They were bioth sprayed "free-hand" from the can although i did cut out a paper towel and use it as a mask for the light gray area in the center top of the aircraft. Then i applied a gloss laquer.

R

rjwood_uk

very nice as usual greg!!

a nice different aircraft and done up to a beauty!!!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy RJ,

I just wanted to say Thanks. It is an unusual subject for me, but of course, i like unusual subjects, I have the Eurofighter Typhoon and the French made Rafael fighter to built yet also. All of these represent some of the newest fighter aircraft that Europe has to offer and the canard wing is something you dont find on many aircraft in the U.S. which is one reason I bought these. The other reason is I really like delta wing aircraft. I have been occassionally seeing the F-16 XL which was a delta wing variant of the "Viper" as you call it (I have always called it the Falcon). I had a model of the XL years ago when it first came out and have been looking for another for yrs so, the next time i see it, i will probably get it. I know its not the "newest in the US arsenal, but it is one of the "unusual ones lol.

Anyway, i am not real sure whats next on the agenda to build, but i did get the learjet (C-21) parts in today so it may be the C-21, but it might not be lol.

thanks again and have a good evening,

Greg

B

Bluewavestudios

I can only agree with the others Greg,

Another very fine model, If you went into R/C producing this sort of stuff, the champions would be very worried indeed !!

Regards.......Mark

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy mark,

Thanks for the kind words but i dont think we have to worry about me busting into the rc field anytime soon, i am happy with the static models and it costs enough already i could only imagine all the bells and whistles that RC planes have and what they would cost.

thanks again, have a good day,

Greg

N

nowayandnohow

My Swedish heart beats proudly :smiling:

Awesome work, I have no idea how you get the thing together as quickly as you say you do, but amazing stuff mate...

R

rjwood_uk

as for the F-16XL greg you will find it very hard to find that model around these days.

although there are a few companies that make resin conversion sets but they arent cheap. some people even build new wings and what not from scratch!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Noway and Richard,

Well glad i could make ya proud Noway. I personally think all of these "new age" fighter aircraft are stunning in their appearance, the Gripen especially being that it is a single engine aircraft.

As for how i manage to put them together so quickly, its just a matter of starting and not stopping until ya finish, although recently with my neck troubles, I have been taking abit longer than usual to get some of these aircraft built.

And Richard, the X-16 XL.....I have been seeing several of them on ebay recently and have bid on 2, as of yet I havent been willing to pay what the auction gets to. I also have seen a site which makes resin kits of the aircraft but havent considered purchasing one yet.

have a good day and thanks for the kind words,

Greg

A

andyroo

WOW it would take me months to build like that a real talent there!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Andrew,

When i build a model, I rely on my experience I gathered building previous models. If you will notice, there is no real "detail" as such to this model. The paint job was really simple, I painted the model overall dark gray, then came back (after the model was almost complete...the only thing left to do was the canopy) and spray painted all edges of the model with a light gray. The only masking i did was along the center of the aircraft on the top edge.

I did do a small amoount of detail in the cockpit, but that was mainly just painting the ejection seats and little dry brushing over the instruments.

This model went together really well and i am sure that anyone who has built models in the past and who have an idea of what they want the finished model to look like could build this model in a comparible time frame to mine.

There was a time in my past when I paid alot of attention to details and you would have seen "wires" leading to the bomb racks and hydraulic hoses (painted fishing line) on the landing gear. However, with the job i have now, I have to build when i have time, i drive an hour each way to and from work and work 12 hour shifts so 14 hours of my day are gone before my free time ever gets to me...hence "speed builds".

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for the kind words and I am sure if you could see some of my methods, you would realize that you can complete them pretty fast too.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

First Name
Peter
Hi, I'm new here.
I'm looking for a good reference pictures for JAS39C/*D/E/F Gripen. A searched trough on the internet but I couldn't find any good accurate or high quality pics for it.
If somebody has an accurate 3 view blueprints and cross sections about it please send to me or give some hints or links where can I find one.
Or anyone knows which kind of kit is this? it is very bad quality and i couldn't read it. this is 1/48 scale but I don't know which brand. If somebody has this pics please scan it for me with the others sides too.
THX

Attachments

• gripen.jpg
    gripen.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 3