Jase'e 1:32 Tamiya Mosquito

J

Jase

Hello all, This is my first plastic build diary on this forum. I very really do aircraft I am ships and armour fan really. But this kit is not to be missed, its a triumph of what is possible and the detail is breath taking. I have been fortunate to get one of the very first kits and it has the limited import clear engine panels. :D

I will be building this using 2 Eduard etch sets the internal and external sets which I am hoping will arrive in the post any day now. I will be using Vallejo Air paints for the bulk of the build. Hope you enjoy the build.

Jase

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

D

Deleted member 4203

Wow :eek: :D That's some model :smiling3: :eek: :D Welcome to the forum Jase ;) , this looks like it'll be great, I'm looking forward to seeing it being built :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

Not into aircraft much myself but will be interested to see how this comes together.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It looks great, but I do wonder about clear engine panels. If you want to show the engine, leave them off.

S

snapper41

If I can offer a word of advice - based on experience with this kit? The decals are pretty poor; the one thing Tamiya can't seem to get right. I used Xtradecal replacements for the national markings and am waiting on Avieology bringing out their stencils set, hence mine is sitting in the box, half finished! That was after stripping it completely, when all the Tamiya decals silvered the first time around, even after a Klear base coat and setting solutions...

First Name
Dave
I'm building this one at the moment. It's a superb kit.Best I've seen.Master have just released a turned brass gun barrel set for this model.The .303's have separate perforated cooling jackets.I may have to get some even though I've built and painted the kit plastic guns ,which look very good.

J

Jase

\ said:
I'm building this one at the moment. It's a superb kit.Best I've seen.Master have just released a turned brass gun barrel set for this model.The .303's have separate perforated cooling jackets.I may have to get some even though I've built and painted the kit plastic guns ,which look very good.
will look at that

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Should be good!

I don't see the correct colour for the interior of a British aircraft in that Vallejo set, unless I'm missing something.

Cheers

Steve

J

john dutfield

looks like I have company!

Very glad to hear about another build. I think Tamiya XF71 cockpit green is a better interior colour for historical acuracy?

All went well with me until the undercarriage construction....hm. Beware of fragile bits, rotating wheel hubs and etc. Oh and the photo etched ribs in the engine nacels...double check the numbers and positions so the slots allow the engine braces to lie properly and flat.

I could go on.... :smiling3:

First Name
Robert
I'll be watching too, I did the 1/48 in nightfighter form I think it may be the same kit upscaled??? I found the decals did not sit right like others have mentioned and had to go to xtradecal to get mine.

I'll be watching defo

Cheers

Robert

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice choice, I too will be watching this one. Will you be doing the No.487 Squadron version? That particular aircraft was lost on Operation Jericho

J

Jase

Thanks all for looking in and your comments.

picking up on the cockpit green point you are right there are better matches supposedly, but having worked in both the aircraft and defence industry as the person that purchases paint I have to say that it really does not matter. even today paint batches are different shades and I am fairly sure it was even worse in the 1940s. the pigment in the paint ages fades and darkens depending on what it is exposed to, so i don't worry to much about it. I do tend to struggle with Tamiya paint and airbrush so I am using Vallejo pale green, which by the time i have added a filter, a wash and some weathering will have a totally different tone. At the end of the day when my girlfriend looks at the finished model she won't pull me up on the green she will just say 'loverly' and then go and potter off lol

so with that out of the way and my Eduard etch delivered lets get cracking...

build starts with the cockpit, i built up a number of sub assemblies allowing for painting parts on mass. You will note some faces have been filed flat in readiness for installing the etch parts. NOTE for anybody who may be building this and using the tame how to build book as a reference, there are a number of errors the first couple being in the cockpit where the kit supplied etch has been installed upside down!(see my second pic for correct orientation)

As you would expect from Tamiya the clean up is minimal and the fit very good, so far. the little round window in the bulkhead above the pilot seat is cleverly moulded as part of a wider clear part, I guess to avoid the risk of the glazing fogging from glue, although there is a second half that is glued in. Kit supplied paint masks allow for easy painting.

All the pilots dials have their backs and are hollow, so if you wanted to spend the time installing wires this is very doable. once all the sub assemblies where built up as far as i could everything was primed in Halfords grey. and then painted Pale green. once everything was dry I started to pick out the individual parts that need brush painting. just a note at this point there is a lot of black in the cockpit too, so i have decided to contrast the semi gloss black of various pieces of equipment and the matt black of rubber parts by painting the seats dark bluegrey. This will allow for a black wash to hi light texture and will ad some contrast and depth to the overall cockpit, or i should say I am hoping it will :D

any comments feedback etc all welcomed

Jase

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

J

Jase

now need to decide if I am going to do her in camouflage or all silver paintwork, interested in peoples thoughts on the matter?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
now need to decide if I am going to do her in camouflage or all silver paintwork, interested in peoples thoughts on the matter?
Colin, the camouflaged versions are more common and there's lots of interesting history behind the 487 Squadron Mosquito in particular. The silver Australian scheme is one not often seen but to me looks bland for a military scheme.

cutlarge.jpg

J

john dutfield

I just let the stories of each plane influence me...if you 'google' the suplied I.D markings, you can find where each was based and some history. I am building the one that I felt most connected to.

J

Jase

Thanks for your thoughts gents.

Now on with the build...

With the cockpit parts all painted I have added the decals, mainly yellow dots but also the first aid kit sign. With that done I was able to start adding the etch from the Eduard sets. In many cases they are replacing moulded parts you have to paint so this is a definite uplift in overall appearance. The dials too look better in my opinion as they have more detail, I will also be using some micr-clear to create lenses for the dials.

Next job is to seat everything so I can start weathering without the decal edges getting in the way. I have started the weathering beginning with a black wash for the seats as these should be black. more coming soon

as always any feedback and comments warmly received.

Jase