Jens 1/35 Meng Panther Ausf. A - Panther GB 2018

J

Jens Andrée

Nothing in the manual sadly, only transmission, mechanical, electrical and such. No mention nor illustration of them holes on the drive sprocket - and my manual is for Ausf. A and D.
This might indicate that it's for something less important, but that's guessing...

J

Jens Andrée

It was time to start with the tracks. Road wheels and tracks are probably the most common reason for stalled builds so I've decided to get this done in the same session. One side of the tracks anyway...

87 links per side and 2 guide horns and 2 track pins per track link means it's going to be a long night...

IMG_20180104_000835.jpg
IMG_20180104_004038_01.jpg

There's some flash to clean up on many track links too which I hadn't planned on but after a few you either find the flow or you take a break.

So far this Meng kit is very nice! A bit softer plastic than I'm used to, but very nicely moulded! Sprue design isn't as great but it's impossible not to have the tabs that connects all pieces when injection moulding. One is never totally happy ;)

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thats coming along nicely Jens. :smiling3:

With the sprockets, I assume they would have been cast, so I wonder if the hole is something to do with the casting process??

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jens, there is, without question, a single hole through the drive sprocket. It should be directly in line with one of the 'spokes'. Just on the outer rim edge.

I found a picture of one leaning against a wall. I've saved the picture but I don't know how to do links.

But a hole there is, for sure!

J

Jens Andrée

I wonder if the hole is something to do with the casting process??

I was thinking that too first but a hole in the cog would make it weaker so I think they must've had a very good reason for putting it there...?
I've only found the hole in the drive sprockets for Ausf. A, not the later ones, but that could also be due to other factors and the wrong.

I found a picture of one leaning against a wall. I've saved the picture but I don't know how to do links.
But a hole there is, for sure!

Yes, a hole there is. On both the inner and the outer sprocket rings. Why is the conundrum of the week...?

There's a whole lot more than just putting plastic pieces together in modelling for sure and I like it!!!
I'm no "rivet counter", or at least I don't think I am, but finding tiny unknown details like this I find intriguing and exciting - and it makes the whole "building" part a mystery quest too and hopefully finding the solution! :smiling:

This hole isn't exactly stopping me but I admit to spending the night searching for answers instead of gluing the guide horns to the track links... :smirk:

Many thanks to all of you for helping me (re-)searching this mystery hole so far!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The holes in both the inner and outer sprocket rings are for the insertion of a long rod. This was used to ensure the sprocket 'Teeth' were in correct alignment prior to a final tightening before tracks were added.........

Worth a punt.........:smiling4:

J

Jens Andrée

The holes in both the inner and outer sprocket rings are for the insertion of a long rod. This was used to ensure the sprocket 'Teeth' were in correct alignment prior to a final tightening before tracks were added.........

Worth a punt.........:smiling4:
That makes sense!
Many thanks!!! :smiling:

J

Jens Andrée

Almost forgot to apply the zimmerit decals and I only had to cut one in half since I'd already attached the toe hook assembly.
Flat surfaces went smoothly but they don't bend well so it was a bit tricky around the stowage bins, but it worked out after some tinkering.
I don't know how well they'll stick so that's something I'll discover the next few days but they felt a lot better than Tamiyas sticker zimmerit I used on my Elefant.
The negative thing about these water slide decals is that the pattern isn't deep enough if you ask me, but that'd be impossible...?

Obligatory pics:

IMG_20180105_005348.jpg
IMG_20180105_005420.jpg

Also I'm not used to the red plastic Meng is using but small pieces are easier to see when handling them so someone's been thinking here I think!

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming along nicely looking good,:thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Neat work Jens, I see what you mean about the decal zimmerit. I agree with you, it does look too thin. I've never seen diagonal line etched into the stuff before either. Mind you, with the mind boggling different patterns used, it's not surprising!

Taking shape nicely.

Ron

J

Jens Andrée

Neat work Jens, I see what you mean about the decal zimmerit. I agree with you, it does look too thin. I've never seen diagonal line etched into the stuff before either. Mind you, with the mind boggling different patterns used, it's not surprising!

Taking shape nicely.

Ron
I've seen the diagonal pattern on a Panther once so it did exist at least once, but I'm going to have to be careful with primer and paint so I don't loose all the thin zimmerit pattern.

After testing this decal zimmerit I can't recommend it to be honest because it's out of scale in depth - and the fact that I don't know how well it'll stick?
I read a test/review yesterday and their test pieces came loose. I rubbed my model with iso and fine sand paper before applying the zimmerit, and I used Tamiya decal fix just to be sure and mine's stuck where they're supposed to, but it's a shallow pattern for sure...

J

Jens Andrée

I take back the initial guesswork that it would take only 10-ish hours to build this Panther because of the zimmerit.
We tank builders usually just build the whole kit and then start thinking of paint etc. This is not possible here due to the decals!

Taking it slowly and give all the parts a thorough cleaning with iso and some light sand paper treatment was the correct method for the zimmerit to stick well but I'm worried how much will be visible in the end after a couple layers of paint?
I won't use any primer, just diluted XF-69, to ensure I don't build up any thickness and making the zimmerit less deep.

I'm also having to jump back and forth in the instructions in order to fit in pre-painted parts, zimmerit, tools and other "bits" mounted on the hull, but the slow pace seems to work so far.
Very nice kit though! :smiling:

J

Jens Andrée

FYI

Just did a quick test how sensitive the zimmerit decal was to Tamiya cement and it's totally eating it!
So any of you doing the same/similar decal zimmerit be careful and plan so you don't have to use cement on/next to these zimmerit decals.

I was pondering if I should apply the zimmerit before or after the tool racks on the hull and now I know to wait with zimmerit as long as possible!

It does however mean that you can "glue" down corners of zimmerit that doesn't want to stick, but do so carefully...

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellent choice Jens, I'll be watching :thumb2:

J

Jens Andrée

Slow pace but I'm getting there. I keep getting stuck on details and I was momentarily sidetracked when a museum had changed the identity on their Panther to 534 when it in fact was a completely different tank, and a Ausf. D as well!?!
I've found the only three existing photos of my Panther and have had some of my questions answered, but not all. I guess some artistic freedom will have to suffice in the end... ;)

Lots of small pointy parts to break off by accident but so far none, but it'll happen eventually. Really nice kit to build!

IMG_20180112_023232.jpg
IMG_20180112_023305.jpg
IMG_20180112_023428.jpg

I wish I had some spare bits of zimmerit decals to practice painting on but no such luck. As long as I keep it as thin as possible it should be ok.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thats coming on a treat mate. The rolled steel texture looks great, shame most of it will be hidden by the Zim.

J

Jens Andrée

Thats coming on a treat mate. The rolled steel texture looks great, shame most of it will be hidden by the Zim.
Cheers! (to all of you!)
Yes, it's a shame to cover it but these Panthers were more or less always with zimmerit so I try not to think about the texture, but it is very nicely done!
If I ever decide to do a larger Panther Ausf. A vignette/diorama then I might do another Meng kit and skip the zimmerit?! The kit builds really well and the fit is on part with new Tamiya kits. :thumb2:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I was watching Andys Model HQ this morning, he's done a review of this kit. It looks like they might be bringing out an interior kit, with the open panels in the hull and turret it could make a very nice diarama for a Panther undergoing repair.

Last edited: