Joe's 1/72 Academy B-17F Memphis Belle

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Late starter, but I have already done much research for this kit and build so will get into it and report back with updates.

So far I know that:

1. The kit represents a later B-17F version than that of either Memphis Belle, or Miss Ouachita, the second kit option.

2. The nose-mounted astrodome mount must be removed and a new window installed ahead of the windshield. The astrodome replaced two small windows above the navigator/bomb aimer positions in later versions of the B-17F and on all versions of the B-17G. Memphis Belle had the earlier window configuration.

3. I'll have to add more armament to the nose section. I think the drill may get a work out.

4. There are a few discrepancies (as you get often with Academy kits) with colours. I have sorted them out already. Luckily the Belle was an often-photographed aeroplane.

5. Academy's B-17s suffer from excessive dihedral. Should be easily fixed with some spacers from plastic card.

6. The starboard tail fin panel came from another B-17 and is a slightly different shade of OD.

7. The control surfaces were faded and appear lighter in photos of the aircraft than the rest of the upper surfaces.

Sprue/box shots to come soon. Looking forward to this :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
When I built the Revell 1/48 Memphis Belle I painted the control surfaces with Humbrol 86 light olive.The control surfaces were fabric covered and the paint faded differently to the rest of the airframe apparently.

P

Polux

Interesting subject...the Memphis Belle :smiling3:

Glad to have you in Joe ;)

Last edited:
L

Laurie

A Kiwi is on the move and soon to take flight. Looking in on the flight plan Joe.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Look forward to seeing this Joe. The B17 is one of the nicest looking bombers of WW2 - well I think so.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I've cut plastic, Humbrol paint was everywhere and bombs are being loaded. Photos and updates to come.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Okay, time for a break from the build so far and to get some pictures for you.

\ said:
Hell's Bells
No, Memphis Belle!

Box shot, very nice art work even if it isn't accurate (note the missing astrodome and lack of glazing over the nose area):

View attachment 108993

The sprues all wrapped still. Academy provide parts for various versions of the B-17 in their boxes, handy if you want spares. This B-17F kit comes with the earlier tailplanes, engine cowls and propellers and some spare glazing. Instructions are nice and simple. The schemes require researching as Academy have a habit of being incorrect in so many ways:

View attachment 108994

View attachment 108995

View attachment 108996

View attachment 108997

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3254.JPG

IMG_3256.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
As I said I have cut plastic and painted various parts.

The interior is made up of three main sections, the bomb bay and framing, the cockpit, and the forward nose area for the navigator and bomb aimer:

View attachment 108998

The rear opening on the starboard side must be opened up for the side glazing. The other opening is for an earlier version. On the B-17F the waist gunners stood opposite each other, in the later B-17G the positions were staggered:

View attachment 108999

View attachment 109000

The nose area requires work. The astrodome mount is removed and will be filled. The new window overhead the navigator position is cut out using a spare piece from the clear sprues as a replacement. This took a few hours:

View attachment 109001

View attachment 109002

View attachment 109003

View attachment 109004

IMG_3257.JPG

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3259.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
P

Polux

Looking very good so far!!

Build a significative plane like this must be an interesting and funny job ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Interior Assembled and fitted to the starboard side of the fuselage. Windows are already in place and masked.

View attachment 109122

I've decided the best way to tackle the upper and ball turrets and their detail are to install the mounts permanently (I'm not going to play 'war' with it so who cares), and mask them off once interior green has been applied as seen above. Once the aircraft is varnished the turrets can be assembled in full. The guns are quite plain, not much I can do with them as they are very small in diameter and flimsy. Certainly won't be attempting to make cooling holes in the barrels!

Then the two fuselage sides were fixed together. The turret mounts and other items lined up perfectly. A nicely engineered kit from Academy so far.

View attachment 109123

The only complaint is this step in the fuselage roof over the cockpit/flight deck. Should be easy to fix, but not really acceptable.

View attachment 109124

The tail cone fitted along with it's twin fifties:

View attachment 109125

IMG_3288.JPG

IMG_3291.JPG

IMG_3293.JPG

IMG_3294.JPG