Joe's 1/72 Academy B-17F Memphis Belle

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Joe,and how have i missed this one,nice work on the inside, ;)

L

Laurie

\ said:
to install the mounts permanently
Best way I have found Joe. also stops itchy grubby fingers playing war games. How do I know this.

I have found as you have here so many problems at the roof cockpit intersection. Made worse by the fact that this part of aircraft is the most visible part of a model.

Interesting bomb arrangement. Just hope the bottom one got out first and the others in order..

Wow you are flying tonight Joe ? :rolleyes:

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks for the kind comments. Laurie yes, work has to pay the bills.

Fitted the cockpit and radio operator glazing and experimented with the wings on a dry fit. They do indeed have excessive dihedral, the most common of complaints about Academy's otherwise good looking B-17 kits. Using some plastic card you can get the angle you need (4.5 degrees). Bit of a pain to adjust, but a good guide is the outboard engines should be no higher than the radio compartment windows.

View attachment 109192

View attachment 109193

I also put some plastic card into that ugly step over head the cockpit/flight deck, and proceeded to clean up the seams and fill the wings with plastic card and Tamiya filler:

View attachment 109194

About to go and have a look to see if it's dry and then it's out with the sandpaper and files for some sculpting fun.

IMG_3298.JPG

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Wow, that's some work Joe. Hyper speed, but still looking good.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
We're getting there, just a light rub of wet and dry to smooth it off. It's been raining hard here for three days, so haven't had much else to do other than a bit of work last night. I'm enjoying this build, so glad I decided to get on with it.

View attachment 109223

I've also now fitted the tail planes. No problem there whatsoever.

IMG_3306.JPG

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Cracking looking Belle Joe, you are cracking on with it.

Si:smiling3:

C

Caledonia

Well done Joe, it's given you a few challenges, but you have overcome they very well. Derek

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

Final sanding has been completed. Wing roots mostly, but other areas to receive attention included the tail cone, and a few minor fuselage seams. The engines were masked off with tac in preparation for priming.

View attachment 109349

And a coat of primer has been applied:

View attachment 109350

Nice and smooth wing roots:

View attachment 109351

Just realised I left the pitot tubes and RDF aerial dome off, will rectify that prior to painting.

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Pitot tubes and RDF aerial dome fitted under the nose area; some final surface improvements made, and pre-shading applied.

View attachment 109430

Spent the rest of the day elbow deep in Hyundai. I know which I'd prefer to be working on, but SWMBO's car developed a boot leak. And that meant one of these had priority...

IMG_3316.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nothing exciting to report really; neutral grey went on the underside yesterday, masking for the Olive drab today. Picture will follow when I have substantial progress to show.

First Name
Dave
Just caught up with this.Youve got a lot done since I last looked.Nice work on the wing Dihedral problem.