Joe's 1/72 Academy B-17F Memphis Belle

L

Laurie

Cruising Joe. Nice progress also like your report style.

Laurie

D

dubster72

Great stuff Joe, those wing roots are a pleasure to behold! Lots & lots of pre-shading there!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Back to the Belle. As I said neutral grey was sprayed and masked off. The Olive Drab wraps around the front undersides of the engine cowls. Research, because especially with Academy kits, the painting guides are often wrong.

View attachment 109758

A coat of Olive Drab. Had issues with this, the first coat went blotchy. So I smoothed it down with thinner and prepared for a second coat. I put it down to not mixing the paint often enough in the airbrush. It was also near the bottom of the tin, so I got a new one and no issues this time. Unfortunately the pre-shading was a casualty of this.

View attachment 109759

View attachment 109760

Once dry I then masked off the control surfaces and applied OD mixed with grey to produce a faded appearance. It looks lighter in the photographs than it is in reality, and the gloss coat will darken it a bit.

View attachment 109761

IMG_3326.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3346.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Then once that was dry, I applied some medium green blotching, as you can see in the photo in the previous post. Had a few goes at this, had to settle for the effect I've got here. I had to take the flash off the camera or the blotches looked too bright which they are not. I used Humbrol 149, and referred to photos of Memphis Belle to get the approximate positions of the blotches. The real blotches are perhaps harder-edged but I'm happy with the effect. They too will darken under a gloss coat.

View attachment 109765

And then it was time for the deice boots. I find it easier to do this after the main painting, and I used a brush. Masking off all those rounded edges from the outer edges would have been far more difficult than masking from the inside.

View attachment 109766

View attachment 109767

Exhausts and turbochargers were painted, glossed and given a black wash. Turbochargers gunmetal, the exhausts bronze.

View attachment 109768

And then glued to the model.

View attachment 109769

Normally I'd paint the exhausts a gunmetal or dark colour, but references show they were a rusty metallic colour. This is the Memphis Belle prior to the commencement of her restoration when she was living outside and had been subjected to the weather, birds and vandals.

View attachment 109770

IMG_3373.JPG

IMG_3376.JPG

IMG_3377.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

IMG_3385.JPG

detail_b17f_13.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Then I gave the Belle some feet. The fit of the wheels was not exemplary. I had to manipulate them to get them on the correct angle. It occurred to me afterwards that this was an effect of having altered the kit's wing dihedral (they had a toe-in look to them and would have been straighter if the original excessive dihedral had been left there).

View attachment 109771

Next up it's off to exhaust-staining camp and a nice gloss bath. Thanks for looking in.

IMG_3386.JPG

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Awesome work there Joe

.I usually gloss then apply the exhaust staining with a thinned down paint you can control it better and if it goes wrong you can clean it up without ruining the top coat of paint

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The holes I drilled earlier were filled with the appropriate machine guns using white glue.

View attachment 110307

And using the white glue again, I set the remaining nose side glazing panels into position. These were often field-fitted and photos show they weren't always a prefect match for the surrounding panels and had different shades of Olive Drab on them. Some sanding was required to make them fit, even though an earlier dry fit showed an acceptable fit.

View attachment 110308

You can also see the bomb bay doors, which were sitting in place using tac underneath, are now open and set in position.

The nose glazing was then set into place. No problem here, a great fit.

View attachment 110309

Landing lights are in place, navigation wing lights are finsihed, the propellers are sitting in their engines (not glued), and final touches will bring this to a conclusion in the next day or so.

View attachment 110310

View attachment 110311

IMG_3443.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG

IMG_3450.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
PS, I also had to reattach each pitot tube at least twice; luckily they didn't fall into oblivion. Joe 1, Carpet Monster 0

A landing gear strut went AWOL on final inspection, no idea how that happened, and it has vanished. I have refashioned a new one from sprue. Joe 1, Carpet Monster 1

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
liking this one Joe,great work you have done on the old girl,do real like the colors, ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
fantastic work Joe,I think this is one of your best builds let, :D

real like how much attention to detail your done,from the exhausts,

and like wise great loving it, ;)