Joe's 1/72 Academy Grumman F6F Hellcat

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Okay, I've arrived a bit late as usual but count me in.

This is my 'Lands on an Aircraft Carrier' GB contribution: Academy's 1/72 Grumman F6F-3/5 Hellcat. I'm going to build the F6F-5 version in the overall glossy sea blue scheme. I'll be starting once the Boeing clears off so I have some space, which shouldn't be too far off now.

View attachment 109772

A few other Grumman products already being built for this GB, with one very nice Wildcat already done, so I'll add to the cat family. Sprue shots etc to come once I have room.

Boxtop F6Fhellcat.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice one Joe. I've done a couple of Academy kits and liked them all.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I have made a start in the meantime. The cockpit is a simple affair. I added some tape seat belts and dry brushed the wall details in white. The instrument panel has a decal provided. It broke into three bits so I had to paint the details in where I could. Not a good omen for those decals later. This is a fit test.

View attachment 110316

The engine is painted, the inside of the cowl is painted, and the engine fitted into place.

View attachment 110317

A dry fit showed some work will be required on the wing roots, the cowl to fuselage area, and the fuselage underside seam.

View attachment 110318

IMG_3447.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG

IMG_3445.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I got that instrument panel sorted, painted rest of the interior and set my masked canopy and windshield into place.

View attachment 110319

Tail planes are also fitted. They require a bit of attention as the fit is not positive.

View attachment 110320

View attachment 110321

I've dealt with the wing roots and tail planes already as you can see in the previous photos. The wings have detents for the rocket rails or a bomb load. I drilled out the rocket positions and have filled in the bomb detents.

View attachment 110322

I've sanded the guns and flattened the ends of the barrels (they were a bit flash ridden) and I will drill the barrels out.

IMG_3454.JPG

IMG_3453.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3456.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Thanks Ian. I think I might just prime this in white, paint white in the appropriate areas and mask the stars and bars and tail markings off. That would leave only the risk of the numbers on this dodgy decal sheet.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start Joe,and making good progress, ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Have had enforced pause in the builds so no more progress to report for now. Thanks for the comments so far.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Could have been worse. Decorating. Nuff said

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Could have been worse. Decorating. Nuff said
Got that lined up too Colin... SWMBO has a schedule and it doesn't include shed time. She can't be here all the time though ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Got that lined up too Colin... SWMBO has a schedule and it doesn't include shed time. She can't be here all the time though ;)
Only the brave dare disobey the good Lady....

First Name
Neil
Nice work, I do love the hellcat, something so right about it. You've got the Spit which is sort of Muhammed Ali - elegant, fast and deadly and then the Hellcat which is more of of your Roberto Duran in his prime - can take a beating but packs a hell of a punch.

I probably have some extra decals from my hellcat - different sets including a French Indo-China one - but includes a number of the sea-blue ones with different tail schemes?