Joe's 1/72 Lightning F2A Airfix 1/72

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Keeping the ball rolling slowly... No further build issues thus far, I'm keeping out of trouble.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

Landing gear components sprayed aluminium. I'm going to have to replace the long nose probe. Will look at some thin brass tube or something of that nature.
DSC_0007.JPG

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
looking good. I managed to break the nose probe on my Mig-21R and replaced it with brass tube and it worked fine, i just cleaned up the mount, drilled into the fuselage for a firm mount and then used a little filler to recreate the fairing.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
, i just cleaned up the mount, drilled into the fuselage for a firm mount and th
I think this is how I'll go about it too on this one Dave. Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Not much to add, waiting for brass tubing to replace the pitot. Wheels-up landing gear doors are temporarily tacked on ready for priming and painting, to protect the aluminium finish in the wheel wells.
DSC_0008.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Attempt at 'black basing', very thin matt black sprayed over the primer. Also replaced the pitot with brass tube.
DSC_0009.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium applied over three light coats, there is some variation but not apparent in photos. After polishing the nose ring I noticed a weird defect (caused by me without doubt) and so I am back to a light repair. AFter this is dealt with I'll need to spray some more polished aluminium around the front of the aircraft, then mask off for the blue spine/tail and black canopy/nose area.

DSC_0010.JPG

Public service announcement: anyone building this scheme, note that Airfix has an error in depicting the black nose area. Photos show the black extends to the end of the polished intake ring in a curve, not a squared off per the instructions.

31-hn-ac-airfix-e-e-lightning-f2a-f6-1-48.jpg
XN793-A-Lightning-F2A-92Sqn-mennen_s.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking very shiny joe , good luck with the repair, cheers tony

D

Deleted member 3568

That's looking good, it's certainly a different kit to the one I built when I was about 12 (No pics as the box brownie wasn't even invented then) that kit had about 8 parts if I remember correctly.

J

John Rixon

Looking lovely Joe, never ceases to amaze me how beautiful this bird is, every bit as iconic as the Spitfire, Hunter and Mosquito. I think I'm a gonna have to build another one...