First Name
tony
Liking this alot Joe , i really must get mine started! cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I used every single little stencil, two days of decal application bliss. No issues with the Airfix decals, they are great.
DSC_0019.JPG

And why not just continue and get the lot done!
DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0024.JPG
DSC_0025.JPG

Satin varnish applied next, just a few bits and pieces to go now, navigation lights etc. I forgot about the missiles, wondered why I had a few decals left over from that vast sheet...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful looking model joe , im doing the same scheme now ian has kindly sent me his spare decals, not sure if im looking forward to all the stencils though!

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking good, stencils on modern jets are always a pain there are so any of them.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautiful looking model joe , im doing the same scheme now ian has kindly sent me his spare decals, not sure if im looking forward to all the stencils though!
They're not too bad Tony, and adhere well. I used Decalfix to enable them to settle into the recessed lines. They're quite thin. I worked the lower fuselage (some are tucked up under the high wing), from rear to front, then the same for the fuselage above the wing. Then the wing undersides, then the wing tops. After that I did the same method for the main decals. This way I didn't need to handle the model too much in areas where I had already applied decals.

It's a very attractive scheme isn't it? I'm glad I got brave and didn't chicken out with the green scheme.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
They're not too bad Tony, and adhere well. I used Decalfix to enable them to settle into the recessed lines. They're quite thin. I worked the lower fuselage (some are tucked up under the high wing), from rear to front, then the same for the fuselage above the wing. Then the wing undersides, then the wing tops. After that I did the same method for the main decals. This way I didn't need to handle the model too much in areas where I had already applied decals.

It's a very attractive scheme isn't it? I'm glad I got brave and didn't chicken out with the green scheme.
Its a scheme i really wanted to do joe as its the silver lightnings i remember seeing ( and hearing!!!) at the finningley airshows when i was a kid. Its just such a classic look , the natural metal and the big red white and blue roundels, cheers tony

D

Deleted member 4539

This is looking a real beauty Joe:smiling3:.
Makes me want to dig out a plane from the stash but I'm too busy with figures.
Not made a plastic kit in over a year:eek:.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So you used them all, every last one. None, accidentally went missing ? I'm sure the carpet monster reached up a grabbed a few of mine..............But anyway, it's looking great. For me, the Lightning is up there with a Harrier, perennial jets.