Joe's Fujimi 1/72 Sea Harrier (Fleet Air Arm SIG)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
My Fleet Air Arm SIG build completed. Build thread here http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/joes-1-72-fujimi-sea-harrier-frs-1.27258/ A real up and down build but it's nice to have it completed and sitting next to the GR.3.

View attachment 83950

View attachment 83951

View attachment 83952

View attachment 83953

View attachment 83954

Sea Harrier FRS.1 XZ491 (construction number 41H-912015) was built in 1980. It first flew on 20 June 1980, and was delivered to the Royal Navy on 14 April 1982.It served during the Falklands War in 1982 but claimed no kills during the conflict.

XZ491 was lost on 16 April 1986 during service with 801 Squadron (FAA) whilst attached to HMS Ark Royal. The cause of the crash was due to fuel exhaustion as a result of instrument malfunction and misdirection from HMS Ark Royal’s controllers in bad weather. The crash site was in the sea off Benbecula, Outer Hebrides. The Pilot, Lieutenant Commander Andy Sinclair ejected safely and was rescued.

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great job Joe, well done , ;)

L

Laurie

Very nice one Joe. mentioned in another article today about modern aircraft being boring but the Harrier certainly berates that. Lots of detail and looks good on the shelf. Also the Harrier, especially the Sea Harrier, has a presence as it so loaded with gear in such a small airframe and just looks a really beautiful aircraft. Plus the Sea Harrier performed so magnificently in the Falklands in such hostile conditions both climatic and against the very spirited enemy pilots.

Yours does it justice Joe and like mine will just looks good on the shelf.

Do you know who piloted the 004 in the Falklands ? Read "Sharkey" Ward's book and he goes into lots of detail regarding his pilots.

Laurie

L

Laurie

I do believe its was "Sharkey" Ward's own aircraft. 801 Squadron.

ZA175 004 No.801 NAS Sea Harrier FRS1 / FA2 07 Dec 81 1 confirmed kill over Falklands (Dagger by LtCdr. N. 'Sharkey' Ward, 801 NAS, HMS Invincible). Converted to FA2 1996

Laurie

D

dubster72

I'd be very proud if I had done something so good Joe! The paintwork

looks really nice & 1/72 again! Jeez how, I ask myself!

C

Caledonia

Nice crisp build Joe, I think the grey/white colour scheme is especially attractive. Nicely done. Cheers Derek

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
I do believe its was "Sharkey" Ward's own aircraft. 801 Squadron.ZA175 004 No.801 NAS Sea Harrier FRS1 / FA2 07 Dec 81 1 confirmed kill over Falklands (Dagger by LtCdr. N. 'Sharkey' Ward, 801 NAS, HMS Invincible). Converted to FA2 1996

Laurie
My model represents XZ491, but the number codes must have been moved around a fair bit, there are at least three different Sea Harriers that have worn '004' with 801 Squadron FAA that I could find. XZ491 was on board HMS Invincible during the conflict and had no distinguishing events on its war record.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Joe

Nice FSR1 which completes a brace of terrific Harriers! Was there a reason for choosing Fujimi over Airfix? Does the kit offer any benefits over it's rival?

Cheers

Paul

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I must apologise Joe. I missed the build totally. But anyway, I've caught up now. EDSG over white, takes me back to my old Matchbox SHAR. Great job.

Colin M...

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Another 'nail' converted into a shiny, new pin! Beautifully done Joe.

Gern

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Hi JoeNice FSR1 which completes a brace of terrific Harriers! Was there a reason for choosing Fujimi over Airfix? Does the kit offer any benefits over it's rival?

Cheers

Paul
I just happened to have it in my old collection. I would never build this kit again due to poor fit, lack of some obvious detail (such as the top beacon) which had to be scratch built and a tendency for the decals to break (although they were very old). If I had the option and with hindsight I would have chosen the Airfix Sea Harrier any day of the week. Apparently the Italeri (ESCI) kit is the one to go for to build a 1/72 Sea harrier FRS.1. The Italeri (ESCI) GR.3 went together beautifully compared to this Fujimi offering.