John's Prototype D-558-1 Skystreak 1/48 scale.( Closed Please see Completed )

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Love this john. , something very rarely seen modelled , the orange could be challenging, its a bit like red and yellow in that coverage can be difficult , maybe a yellow primer/ basecoat will help. Cheers tony

EDIT . just seen the pics on the computer rather than the phone and its not orange is it , its red!!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

Where do you find these kits John?! They're like a blast from the past, although I've no doubt you'll make it into a stunning example :smiling3:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
Where do you find these kits John?! They're like a blast from the past, although I've no doubt you'll make it into a stunning example :smiling3:
I like the challenge of the old and obscure stuff Patrick it takes me back on a bit of a nostalgia trip back to the 70s when I used to bash my matchbox kits together. Funny how since I returned to modelling 3 years ago now I've yet to capture an old matchbox kit although I've done a few monogram kits( love these also.)

I spend many hours rummaging in charity shops visit a number of car boots and every Saturday I do an auction only search to see if there's anything that grabs my interest. Cheers John

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi everyone thanks for looking in and your help advice comments and interest is greatly appreciated.

A small update not that this kit really needed it I did re scribe all panel lines as I may just use a rattle can for the red gloss coat which can sometimes after priming and a few coats of the gloss bury all the details. So hopefully the prevention may be better than a cure.:eek:

A dry fit of the fuselage and the wings reveals that a bit of filler and sanding may be required.

More later........................

Thanks John View attachment 114896

View attachment 114897

View attachment 114898

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

D

dougie

Definitely the way to go with the deeper scribe. Rattle cans are great at hiding details at the wrong moment if you make the smallest adjustment to your technique

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice re-scribing work John. Here's a link to the US National Naval Aviation Museum page for the Skystreak: http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/attractions/aircraft-exhibits/item/?item=d-558-1_skystreak

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi everyone just a small update all clued together sanded and primed.View attachment 115330

View attachment 115331

After primer drys another sanding and filler session will be required before I can spray the red gloss coat and the black over the canopy not sure which yet Matt/Gloss black but alclad exhaust manifold to the rear exhaust area.

Thanks for looking in cheers John

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi everyone small update .After sanding the primer coat back 4 times and filling I've finally got the red coat down at last. Getting closer to the finish time to start thinking about a simple base for it now thanks for looking in cheers John :smiling3: View attachment 115530

View attachment 115531

image.jpg

image.jpg

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Thread closed please see completed section many thanks John