JU 87 b 1/24

T

T. van Vuuren

Can someone please tell me what the cockpit colour of a JU 87B would have been? I have seen ii in RLM 66 and some in RLM 02 and the instructions in my 1/24 Heller call for a mix if green and grey.

Would they have been all grey or all green or a mix where the basic floor and sides and bulkheads woud be 02 with the controll boxes being 66?

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is a very difficult question to give a certain answer to!

The first Ju 87 B reached I./St.G. 162 in June 1938 and production of the A series ceased in August. The early B series aircraft seem to have had an RLM 02 interior. The B-2 prototypes were converted from A-1s in January 1939 and also had 02 interiors. By the end of March 1939 Junkers had delivered 187 B series aircraft and I believe all of them had 02 interiors. I also believe that aircraft delivered up to at least mid 1940 had 02 interiors, but there is some evidence of a darker interior, (presumably RLM 66) appearing around this time in some photographs. Whether this was factory applied or as a result of a refurbishment or overhaul I don't know.

Rather like the Bf 109 E I would suggest using an RLM 02 interior for aircraft produced up to, say, the BoB period unless you have compelling evidence to the contrary.

Even more confusing are photographs of Ju some 87 Ds with a light (02) interior at a date when this would be unexpected :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Steve, I did go for the 02 as I think it will give a less "dark cave" look to the pit.

Would the electrical and other controll boxed have been blac, 66 or 02 aswell? What about the instrument panel?

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
In the manual for the B series the instrument panel is RLM 02. The instruments themselves are, as you'd expect, a very dark colour, probably black. The various control boxes, radios etc vary so you have artistic licence! Most are a dark grey (66) or black. Something often missed is the frame of the bordfunker's seat. In all the pictures I have this is clearly a glossy black colour, not RLM 02.

Here's a few images.

Cheers

Steve

IP.jpg

rear cockpit.jpg

port_sidewall.jpg

pilot_pos.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

Dann, I made the instrument panel 66....will have to repaint tomorrow :sad:

As for the rest thanx a stack Steve, it makes detailing much easier.

On the last pic I see no foot retention straps on the peddals....normal?

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I would expect some kind of retention system to be present. The pedals in the picture are an early version, I've attached a picture of the pedals in a  Ju 87 A, which are similar, and you can clearly see a strap (arrowed) of some sort on the left hand pedal to help keep the foot on the pedal.

I've also attached a picture of the pedals in a Ju 87 D which are of a later type, as seen on many Luftwaffe types, and have the leather retention strap fitted.

Incidentally, notice the light colour of the IP in that D series Ju 87.....still RLM 02 ????

Cheers

Steve

A_pedals.jpg

D-pit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
T

T. van Vuuren

Trust the RLM to make it difficult for  modlers decades down the line LOL.

Thanx for the cool pix Steve :smiling:

Interesting to see the different styles of handles on the collombs. 

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Anyone know where the back rest strap for the rear seater attached to the inside of the fuse?

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think the bordfunker only had a lap belt. The seat could be turned so that he could face his wireless equipment or become the gunner, as needs must.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Steve. I have seen some modlers install a back rest strap whan facing rearwards....maybe they know something we dont  LOL

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Main electrical bus switches are from 1mm long stretched sprue , the circut breakers are dots of white paint.

The seatbelts were an experiment in scratchbuilding. I used masking tape and the metal bits are from formed thin steel wire. I used a piece of cardboard under the lapstrap painted to look like leather.

The straps themselves were stained with highly thinned enamel. I am rather pleased with the results.

Theuns

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00105.JPG

DSC00110.JPG

P

Polux

Nice work so far Theuns!!

Is always interesting to follow a 1/24 build ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That looks superb Theuns; agree with your comments re the straps, very effective.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I especially like the dials, for a painted job, that's a great effort mate

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Veeeery nice :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx, I am painting the engine now but  boy the fut is poor. loads of seam filling needed with superglue.

I will also need to make a whole heap of extras like all the controll links , electrics and fuel lines that go from the engine to the firewall as there is little detail of this in the kit.

Theuns