Junker ju 88...'found'

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Very nice dio all round I have two planes unfinished with missing parts I mentioned in my previous post and this as inspired me to go do something with them so thanks John

C

CDW

I like that, nice and simple looking but with some interesting details.

Love the odd-angle shaped base ... Really suits it

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Very nice dio all round I have two planes unfinished with missing parts I mentioned in my previous post and this as inspired me to go do something with them so thanks John
Thanks John, was fiddly to do with my hands but it worked well, I went for the less is more approach by leaving off the canopies, air brake etc and debris. I wanted the bomber to look robbed yet clean....if that makes sense., then just left to weather away over 70 years. I am pleased that you like it and that it has inspired you to have make something of yours.

Si:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I like that, nice and simple looking but with some interesting details.Love the odd-angle shaped base ... Really suits it
Great stuff, I wanted it simple, not too overgrown, the scenery could have been better, but it is all I have at the moment. I was in two minds to add the figures and am really glad I did as they fit into the scheme of the model just great.

Thank you, really glad you like it.

C

CDW

Are the figures model railway stuff or part of a 1/72nd set Si ??

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
There railway 00 or H0 cannot remember, measured them against the bombers crew and they are just about spot on and work really well.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent result Si, very nice composition, and I agree with Colin, the 'different' base sets it off a treat.....

Well done.

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Excellent result Si, very nice composition, and I agree with Colin, the 'different' base sets it off a treat.....Well done.

Ron
Thanks Ron, appreciate it mate. Glad it worked, funny how something as simple as a crashed plane still took umpteen washes and dry brushes of various colours...never seemed to end lol. The decals worked okay too, especially on the squashed bit, was surprised really with them being so old. The kit was originally bought from Beatties for the princely sum of £0.90p. Enjoyed this one but that is it for me for a while I am off away to my caravan for a few days.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, superb job Si, looks like a scene from Time Team.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Wow, superb job Si, looks like a scene from Time Team.
Thanks Joe, glad you like it.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Splendid Job you've done on that Si ............ 5 Big ***** from me matey.

Peter

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Splendid Job you've done on that Si ............ 5 Big ***** from me matey.Peter
Thanks Peter, it looks okay, could have been better in places, but on a budget it works. Glad you like it.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's a cracking little dio Si, I like it a lot.

Don't know if anyone's asked before but any chance of a step by step on on of your masterpieces, I for one would love to see how you do such great work.

Tony.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
That's a cracking little dio Si, I like it a lot.Don't know if anyone's asked before but any chance of a step by step on on of your masterpieces, I for one would love to see how you do such great work.

Tony.
Tony, you are too kind mate. It is all relative, I seem to be good at doing conked out and sunken wrecks, yet I envy the talents on this site. They produce some superb detailed dio's and static models with amazing painting skills that knock spots off anything I could achieve, I really mean that. Some of the threads I have looked through are just stunning, although I have been modelling for a years, on and off, there is still so much to learn, hence why we are all on here I suppose :smiling3:

But, if a wrecked plane dio is something you really want to know then I will do a step by step of this build, no piccies I am afraid that will have to wait until I do another wreck.

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
STEP GUIDE TO BUILD A WRECKED BOMBER (CAN BE APPLIED TO ANY PLANE OR MODEL), THIS GUIDE IS FOR THE 1/72 JUNKER JU88.

View attachment 66102View attachment 66103View attachment 66104View attachment 66105View attachment 66106View attachment 66107

STEP ONE

This is straight forward really, decide on the kit you wish to damage, in this case the Junkers JU88. Next if this model is to be sited on a diorama or board then position is key, as this will affect how the model will look. Once the size of board has been sorted that will suit the scale of the model next we need to think about setting-I.E, grass, tarmac, snow, mud etc. Once we have a basic idea of what we want it is time to look at the model kit itself.

STEP TWO

Now we need to look at how the aircraft is going to be damaged. In my case the idea that was formed in my head was a patrol over Russia, it got into a fire-fight but escaped, then ran out of fuel or maybe some control lines were damaged-this caused the plane to crash land. This is where the thought of damaged coupled with the board comes into play. In my case I wanted the less is more look, but I could have gone for a bigger board and added the severed wing and debris. The plane hit, slewed lost the port wing near the root, this was severed but caused damage to the port side fuselage ripping it open, luckily no fire started. Once the plane had settled and the crew removed or escaped the plane was left, local villagers turned up and scavenged it for parts, the Plexiglas canopies were taken, the port wing and engine, weapons, other metal parts, what they couldn't remove they left. It was then forgotten about for 70 odd years.

STEP THREE

When the idea is formed and you know what you want to do it is then assembling the model, standard cleaning and prep work apply, de-burring etc. In my case it was firstly doing the cockpit area, this was then fitted into the two halves of the fuselage, while this was drying the rudder, wing, engine, flaps etc were all assembled. This time painting is secondary as you can get away with out having to paint parts before you assemble, of course depending on what you build you may wish to add more paintwork to the cockpit interior or to glazed sections. Once the parts have been glued and have dried it is time to 'distress'. I used a combination fire, fine sandpaper and my grinder (course and fine). The fuselage was done on the grinder using the edge of the wheel in places to achieve the hole work. I found that a Dremel will give better results, however, it can take longer as the models plastic is thicker. Once achieved you need to remove the plastic bits from the edges of the hole, most of this will just come away in your hands, finish off using fine files or sand paper. Once happy I then moved onto the fire part, just using a lighter I applied the flame to the part I wished to mould, DO NOT KEEP THE FLAME ON TOO LONG AND KEEP MOVING IT, this will soften the plastic without burning, I also tried the hot water method but that is too slow and gives poor results, although it is good for gently bending propellers. Once the area is softened you can use your finger or a small screwdriver to push and deform the plastic to correspond to the damage caused. I also softened up the rear fuselage, slightly twisting and bending to achieve the impact of the aluminium frame and jarring of an impact. I then took some sand paper and really sanded the damaged hole section, this producers scrapes and holes and wears away the plastic leaving a good worn look, of course if the damage is fresh you can add a small amount of sanding and the soften slightly and pull outward and inwards to produce tears, jagged edges etc. Once all done I then added some bullet holes, this was achieve by heating up a small piece of wire and piercing the plastic-issue here is that on removal you get an outward cone, this can be filed of sanded off and dinted slightly by a fine drill on a Dremel-mine is Kaput so had to use the hot-wire method. At this point I looked into adding some internal structure of the airframe, a main spar or connecting rods, I used this copper wire in the fuselage for control rods, a small bead, a small piece of Mechano-shaped on my grinder and a piece of wire, this were then added and allowed to set before painting.

STEP FOUR

This is painting the relevant sections, this was done using a grey matt aerosol rattle-can, then a sponge technique as I haven't got an airbrush (yet :smiling3: ) was used to add the camouflage, it is up to you as to how you paint your model as you may need the paint job more pristine. Once all painted the sections of the aircraft were assembled and left to set. Once the paint has dried it is then a case of using various metallic colours, aluminium, greys, gun-metal, mixed with whites etc and applied using a dry brush technique, I also added some darker patches and wiped off with a sponge. The decals were added and the a dry brush 'scuff' effect dragged across them. This overall gave the impression of paint wear over the years leaving the aluminium skin showing.

STEP FIVE

Now the plane is done I dry fitted it to the board to work out the dry and dead patches of grass and foliage around the fuselage and under wings etc. This done the model is sited into place and once happy I used various flocks and scenery to build up the area, I used a PVA sand base to give a raised uneven texture first. Once dry the scenery grasses were added. These can be added to once the others have dried. It is then a case of adding various scenery pieces to build up the picture, around the aircraft, I have a small piece of bush growing inside the open cockpit, dead foliage debris is found near the engine and other places, some greenery has grown on the fuselage also some dead plant matter leaves brown marks etc. Last for me was to add some scale figures and that's it...all finished.

Thanks for reading, maybe of some help to someone. I may have missed something off and apologise if I have, also you may use different techniques, but these worked for me :smiling3:

View attachment 67189

View attachment 67190

View attachment 67191

View attachment 67192

View attachment 67193

View attachment 67194

junkers 88 1.jpg

junkers 88 2.jpg

junkers 88 3.jpg

junkers 88 4.jpg

junkers 88 5.jpg