Just getting started, looking for advice

S

smulx

I used to build small planes when I was younger but I never did a great job. I've recently seen a few models I'd like to build so am hoping to get back in to it. I've bought the Revell Battlestar Galactica model so I'm going to start with that. The questions I have at the moment are-

What accessories should I get to make the finish look a bit more professional? So far in my basket I have

Paint Brush Set (Painta Standard), 6 Brushes - Revell

Micro Clamp Set 8 Pack - Blackspur

Model-Set Plus "Modelling tools" - Revell

Revell 39604 Contacta Professional Glue 25g - Revell

I've read about things like doing different paint coats for different effects, do I need to worry about this? I recall reading about the paint not adhering to the model properly so different kinds of paint were required as a base. Seems complicated.

I've read a few posts about mixing paints and people have said it's not really required and you can but paint that is close enough. How would I do something like 80% purple-red silky matt and 20% fiery-red silky matt though? I never realised I'd have to mix colours, but it seems lots of people don't bother. Any advice on this?

Any other advice which may be relevant would be appreciated too.

Thanks

Last edited:
S

smulx

Thought of another question. How am I meant to know whether it's best to put the entire thing together then paint it, or if some parts should be painted before assembly? Would I just have to try and seek advice from people that have built the same model before?

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hiya............ First of all we are all on first name terms here. So what is your name???

Now about your build............. If I were you I'd take a look at some of the photo galleries on here. There are several people have built the Galactica. Personally I have no idea if it is or isn't a good kit to be starting off with. So before you start get some advice on here first ............ Everyone is here to help so ask away. About painting parts before you fit them. It's always a good idea if you can, I always start off with "sub assemblies" where I can. But remember .......... Study the instructions well before you start and take care of the order of build. It's easy to charge ahead and then find out you've fitted something that gets in the way of fitting another part................

Take some time, use a little patience ............... But above all enjoy it.

Peter

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Thought of another question. How am I meant to know whether it's best to put the entire thing together then paint it, or if some parts should be painted before assembly? Would I just have to try and seek advice from people that have built the same model before?
If no filling is needed at a join between parts, I find that it is sometimes better to paint and then assemble, because painting a part can be easier when it is not attached to the whole model. For example, you don't need to mask parts of the whole model to prevent paint going where it should not.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I used to build small planes when I was younger but I never did a great job. I've recently seen a few models I'd like to build so am hoping to get back in to it. I've bought the Revell Battlestar Galactica model so I'm going to start with that. The questions I have at the moment are-What accessories should I get to make the finish look a bit more professional? So far in my basket I have

Paint Brush Set (Painta Standard), 6 Brushes - Revell

Micro Clamp Set 8 Pack - Blackspur

Model-Set Plus "Modelling tools" - Revell

Revell 39604 Contacta Professional Glue 25g - Revell

I've read about things like doing different paint coats for different effects, do I need to worry about this? I recall reading about the paint not adhering to the model properly so different kinds of paint were required as a base. Seems complicated.

I've read a few posts about mixing paints and people have said it's not really required and you can but paint that is close enough. How would I do something like 80% purple-red silky matt and 20% fiery-red silky matt though? I never realised I'd have to mix colours, but it seems lots of people don't bother. Any advice on this?

Any other advice which may be relevant would be appreciated too.

Thanks
I use sanding sticks and sanding sponges in several grits (400 to 1200),— they make it easier to sand seams etc. more accurately. Also "wet and dry" abrasive paper up to 1500 grit.

I use an airbrush to apply all paint, because i think it gives a smother result, but many modellers use a brush and get a good effect.

Tamiya tape for masking and to hold parts together while the glue sets. Also a craft knife to cut it (and cut other things). (They are dangerously sharp, so beware.)

I always apply a primer to the bare plastic, to ensure that the colour coat(s) stick, but some modellers don't use a primer.

I use acrylic paints exclusively rather than enamels and other solvent-based paints, because acrylics are water-base (and therefore less toxic and implements can be easily cleaned), and acrylics dry in a few hours rather then a day. You can mix different colours of paint to get what you want (if a high degree of accuracy is wanted). Some people mix paints from different manufacturers. I don't, out of caution and because I don't need to.

Filler (essentially a putty) is needed to fill gaps at seams. There are many types available with different characteristics. Squadron make a popular one.

On glue, polycement is a thicker glue which fills small gaps. There is also a pure solvent which can be applied to a seam which has a very small gap. The solvent wicks along the seam or at the junction of two parts and sets in 30 seconds or so. An exmple is Mr. Clement S by Mr. Hobby. Super glue can be used to stick things together in seconds, and there are several versions with different curing times from about 2 secs. to 10, but use it carefully so as not to glue your body parts together (like fingers!)

A range of brushes from medium to very fine.

Have a look at Scale Model Shop (at the top of every page of this forum). It stocks lot of items. Also search on the Internet for subjects such as "paint for scale modelling". YouTube has a huge number of videos in most aspects of scale modelling and I have found them very informative. Ask specific questions on this forum. I did when I returned to modelling last January.

Last edited:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Steve has pretty much cracked the list to get you going................. The only thing I'd add is...... Get yourself a set of diamond coated needle files. You'll find them on evilbay. They are cheap and without doubt one of the best and most useful investments I made for my modeling kit.

Peter

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
...... and a set of micro drills and a pin vice. There are lots on ebay.

Gern