'Kamikaze! 1/72 Nakajima B5N2 (Kate)....Okinawa.....Target:- British Carrier.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nothing wrong with this Ron, she looks great.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nothing wrong with this Ron, she looks great.

Gotta disagree there Col. That cheapo WWII Japanese paint is totally useless! Look how badly it's worn and chipped!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Gotta disagree there Col. That cheapo WWII Japanese paint is totally useless! Look how badly it's worn and chipped!
Fair point Dave. Mind you, if you think this looks bad, I wonder what's around the corner for poor Kate ?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great posts folks....Ee, some did make me chuckle!

Right, I've started the 'destruction' process.
I've done the weathering, chipping, semi-dropped a landing wheel and generally mucked it up!

Mention Japanese aircraft and 'chipping' and it seems to mean the whole model surface has to be chipped to death and beyond. I would argue that only the leading edges and the front of the nose cowl would receive such treatment from stones and small amounts of debris, whereas the rest of the airframe would be more likely to be plain old worn paintwork and flaking.

So, right or wrong, this is the look I've tried for.....

P1160937.JPG

I wanted more of a gradual worn look, so I blobbed a bit of silver paint on the model and then gently dabbed it with my finger to try and blend it in.
P1160938.JPG

Next, holding the model vertical, I gave the whole thing a real good dose of watered down black acrylic paint and let the stuff run where it wanted to go. Leaving random patches and streaks...Luuuuverly!
P1160939.JPG

The under belly. Rough as a bear's posterior - on purpose, and fitted with a nice big bomb from my bits bag. Mounted where the torpedo should have been.
One wheel retracted, one half out (or half in!)
P1160940.JPG

All say Ah, for poor Kate!

Cheers all.....

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I'm sorry to say this Ron as your part of the staff team but this is ( bloody ) amazing stuff you have created and the weathering is a brilliant outcome.
Really is looking good

Regards

Robert

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice Ron,do like that,;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone. It was fun dabbing the paint around with my fingers, like being back in Primary
School!

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking great Ron.
I dont think that the problem with Jap planes is that people weather the S#¤t out of them, the problem it the paint the Japanese used to paint them with was just no good. It was, correct me if I am wrong, more a lacquer than it was a paint and I believe it was sprayed directly onto the aluminium. Was it done to save time, money and most probable weight? No idea. It just fell off quicker than the could say Banziiiiiiiiiiiiii.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I agree totally with what you write, Ian.

But my point was that mention 'Chipping', and some modellers tend to chip the whole model. To my mind this is wrong. As we all know, any kind of chipping is done by summat hard hitting the paintwork. With an aircraft this is usually on the leading edges, engine cowl and prop. Not all over. The rest of the paint loss is, as you point out, lack of adhesion, rather than damage. That's why I resisted the 'full chip' and tried to get a more general worn and knackered look to the paintwork.

I know it sounds a bit pedantic and picky, but that's how I see it. But others will see it differently, which is fine, and in the modelling world that is how it should be too.

Any road up, I'm glad you like the model, and thanks for the feedback.

Ron.

P.S. I haven't a clue what paint was used. For all I know, it could have been B&Q's finest green emulsion!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
P.S. I haven't a clue what paint was used. For all I know, it could have been B&Q's finest green emulsion!
I would love to hear a Japanese ask for a Large bucket of B&Q emulsion... lol
And you are quite right. the amount of chipping on any aircraft would be minimal and limited to the forward facing edges.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Now the aircraft is as good as finished ( in more ways than one!) I can turn my attention to both the sea and the carrier.

First the carrier. As I wrote earlier, I remembered I had a half completed one slowly disintegrating in my loft. So, I've been trying to sort it.

Here's the unpainted model straight out of the loft.
P1160868.JPG

Here she is with what bits I could find, added. Then painted with, first, a medium grey, all over coat of acrylics. Followed by a darker grey applied in streaks over the still wet first coat.
P1160949.JPG

A close up showing the very rough paintwork. I might do a bit more detail, but it's fit for purpose as it is, really. I'll see later in the build.
P1160950.JPG

Thanks for looking.
Ron
Just spotted a busted gun barrel towards the stern....sorry!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good,Ron,like the look ,you have gotten,;)

N

noble

This is looking real nice so far can't wait to see what you have in store.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Surely that's the old Airfix 1/600 Ark Royal?

It certainly is Dave, well spotted. She was sunk in 1941 and my build is circa. 1945. Thankfully, I mentioned in my initial post about the inclusion of a carrier, that the model from my loft is not historically accurate......All bases covered......I hope!:p

Thanks to Monica and Scott for your comments too.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It certainly is Dave, well spotted. She was sunk in 1941 and my build is circa. 1945. Thankfully, I mentioned in my initial post about the inclusion of a carrier, that the model from my loft is not historically accurate......All bases covered......I hope!:p

Thanks to Monica and Scott for your comments too.

Ron

I enjoy your builds without giving a monkey's about historical accuracy!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I enjoy your builds without giving a monkey's about historical accuracy!

There's a coincidence Dave - I enjoy my builds without giving a monkey's about historical accuracy too!...:smiling3:

Rough old kit too - and it shows.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just spotted a busted gun barrel towards the stern....sorry![/QUOTE]
Battle damage Ron.
Looking good, I like the painting technique.