KittyHawk MiG-25 PD/PDS Foxbat 1/48 - "Red 31"

First Name
Marius
This is my first kit as a "grown up", and my first step back into the hobby after about 15 years. I've had quite a few kits during my childhood, but the only thing that mattered at that point was to assemble them as quick as possible... :rolleyes: This is the KittyHawk MiG-25 PD/PDS, slightly modified to represent Belenko's "Red 31" Foxbat A (MiG-25P) from his defection to Japan in 1976. The kit itself had more than just a few flaws and errors. I also added a few mods of my own, such as the hydraulics on the landing gear and the home made "FOD cover" in order to hide KittyHawk's faulty attempt at a closed intake ramp. There are of course a few things that I could have done different. All in all, I'm reasonably satisfied, as this was a tremendous increase in building experience for me.

20170617_112955.jpg

Attachments

• 20170612_203708.jpg
    20170612_203708.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170616_190546.jpg
    20170616_190546.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 17

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Good job Marius. That is a great result and a model to be really proud of, even more so considering this is your first kit back to the hobby in some years!
I love the subject (I was considering this kit for an iraqi Mig 25 a while back, although i do understand the kit does have some accuracy issues).

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work Marius if this Foxbat is a taste of things to come.

Cheers
Paul

First Name
Marius
Thank you very much, guys:smiling3: I've always been fascinated by the Foxbat (and Foxhound for that matter), but I was completely caught off-guard with the fitment issues in this kit, some of them requiring "spacers" of plastic cut from an ice cream box... Luckily, I picked up a few tips in this excellent build thread: https://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/mig25/build.htm
I also came across a thread describing the main differences between the various Foxbat models.
I currently have a 1/48 Trumpeter Su-11 Fishpot on the bench, and I'm going to get the AMK MiG-31 B/BS 1/48 kit in the not-too-distant future :D Cheers!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Lovely work, think it looks superb mate.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb looking foxbat marius ! A quality build of a tricky kit so ive heard . Looking forward to seeing the su11 , cheers tony

First Name
Marius
Superb looking foxbat marius ! A quality build of a tricky kit so ive heard . Looking forward to seeing the su11 , cheers tony
Thanks! Yes, it was a bit tricky with those warped fuselage halves and a few special surprises here and there from Kittyhawk :rolleyes: Nevertheless, it is an impressive model with its large size and "cold war appearance", and should definitely appeal to all russian aircraft fans. This is, as far as I know, the best kit of the MiG-25 in any scale - at least until AMK decide to release their version... (unless it's already released?)
Cheers :D

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
ICM do a version of the MiG-25RBT which is supposed to be pretty good (I hope so 'cos I got one in the stash!)

First Name
Marius
ICM do a version of the MiG-25RBT which is supposed to be pretty good (I hope so 'cos I got one in the stash!)
Please give me a feedback of your first impression once you got hands on it?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Marius:

I've not opened mine completely, but first impressions while it is still in it's cellophane are good. I'm really impressed with the level of detail, and I've seen no evidence of flash or mould seams. I was also impressed with the price as I got mine for less than £40.

This guy does a full in-box review:

There's lots of comments and info about the kit here, although I can't find a detailed build review:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234994939-icm-148-mig-25rbt/&

The interesting news is that Revell are also producing a re-box of this kit. I'm guessing that will only involve new decals though. I can't see why they would want to change any of the plastic.

First Name
Marius
Marius:

I've not opened mine completely, but first impressions while it is still in it's cellophane are good. I'm really impressed with the level of detail, and I've seen no evidence of flash or mould seams. I was also impressed with the price as I got mine for less than £40.

This guy does a full in-box review:

There's lots of comments and info about the kit here, although I can't find a detailed build review:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234994939-icm-148-mig-25rbt/&

The interesting news is that Revell are also producing a re-box of this kit. I'm guessing that will only involve new decals though. I can't see why they would want to change any of the plastic.
That looks like a promissing kit, indeed. Revell's old MiG-25 kit is supposed to be so-so from what I've read, so this might be their shot at getting back into the game and to conquer some turf simply by re-boxing the ICM kit.

Edit: I came across this thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235018437-148-icm-mig-25rbt-foxbat/
The kit does look really good. The first thing that struck me was how the shape of the radome/nose section differs from the "Kittyhawk-bat", it looks sharper/pointier, even slightly better in my opinion. Judging by the looks of it, the nose landing gear should have been a tad longer to give the correct "nose up attitude" from the real aircraft, just as with the Kittyhawk-bat. I addressed this problem simply by lenghtening it with a piece of sprue (approx 5mm).

Last edited: