KP DH9A Silver Wings

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
In my ongoing quest to model every RAF single-engine job that flew for the RAF between the wars, my latest acquisition is one of the new KP DH9As. Which includes markings for the very 'plane I wanted to do, a 600 Sqdn machine from Northolt.
I already had the Maquette Polikarpov R-1, until now the only game in town. The Maquette is a bit basic, but it's correct in shape and size. Which is nice.IMG_0313.JPGIMG_0314.JPG

So, now, I think, do I sell the R-1. Or do I use the spare bits from the KP to do a rather fetching Middle-East machine from 30Sqdn. But that does mean doing spoked wheels...
IMG_0315.JPG
Compare and contrast the parts, and how much surface work I may have to do on the wings. Subtle the Maquette detail is NOT!

IMG_0316.JPG
Well, this is how much work I'll have to do inside the 'plane
IMG_0317.JPG

Plus drilling out the wheels

Modelling IS masochism!
I do have one or two things to finish up first, then I'll get to it

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one steve , the KP kit looks very nice , i see what you mean about the slightly overdone ribbing on the Maquette kit . The newly revitalised KP is putting out some fantastic subjects and their tooling has improved tenfold , plus they also rebox some AZ kits too with plenty of good decal options . Looking forward to seeing this come together , the DH9 was always a great looking machine , rather you than me though with all those interplane struts to line up and the subsequent rigging !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
KP have come a long way since their original clunky models - the 9A looks very nice, and a nice selection of decal options. You know you will modify the R-1!!!!
Dave