Kressy's battle of the bulge M4A3

K

Kressy_13

Hi guys. Well to start off I have never done a tank model but if you need 1 tank in your collection it has to be a Sherman so what better excuse. I will be asking a lot of questions in this one so just a heads up :pThis looks to be a nice kit and it also comes with 2 figure kits in the box. A 5 man tank crew and a 4 man 101st airborne in bastogne. I will plan on making a base so will need to learn to model snow also :confused:

The kit itself comes with 6 marking options and the 2 figure sets as I have said. It also includes a turned metal barrel, some PE parts and a metal tow cable. It even contains 2 bits of brass ammo. 1 AP round and 1 HE round.

Not even started and I already have a question. The kit comes with early and late style VVSS suspension and road wheels. What does this mean? lol. May be a stupid question but aircraft don't seem to have these "road wheels" as they are called :P Hahahaha.

Oh god, what have I got myself into? lol. Good thing i have 6 months to get this thing looking like a tank.

Cheers guys.

View attachment 77298

box art.JPG

P

Polux

Excellent choice!! The Dragon kits are really good ones :smiling3:

Don't worry about early or late versions...is just for the most "historical" guys. Just think, you need to have fun building it :P

You will discover, now, the weathering in his full version ;)

My best wishes with your build mate!

Polux

D

dubster72

Dragon kits, especially the newer ones are of excellent quality, although I've found they don't always assemble as easily as a Tamiya kit.

VVSS stands for vertical volute spring suspension, where the spring is mounted... vertically! This was changed in 1943 i think to HVSS (guess the difference!).

The horizontal arrangement made for a smoother ride & easier maintainance

I'd say only diehard Sherman fans would care which version you build, the end result is what matters & having fun doing it.

Cheers Patrick

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Kresten, nice pick, and with bonus as well,as the guys have said just take your time and enjoy it, if you get stuck, always have good help at hand with the lads hear,:rolleyes:

you may pickup other ways off doing show, ice as well, but i use baking power mixed with PVA, and you can make it as runny as you like or have it a bit stiffer as well,

and i also use talcum power as well for just fallen show, mix water and PVA, not too runny and wait till over half set then sprinkle on the talcum power and let set as

it should not soak in too much , or ever give it a good stray with hair stray and then sprinkle it over were you like it,

hope this is off some help for you

K

Kressy_13

Thanks for the comments and info guys. Will be making a start soon. Have been quite busy with the football (soccer) season starting soon. Trying to work off all the holiday food and drink isn't easy. Hahaha.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice choice. Can we see the sprues?

Soccer?! I thought that a) it's much to hot for that, b) should you not be playing footie. (Aussie football; the only ball game in the world where a punch in the face is a legal tackle lol)

Ian M

K

Kressy_13

Thanks Ian and Ian :P Here are the sprue shots. They look well molded and the cast texture is nicely done. One major part I have a problem with is the top of the turret. Why would they put that writing on the outside? It's just useless writing that has to be filled and sanded. Quite annoying coming from one of the top manufacturers. I have left out the figures and the track parts. Will show the figures when I get around to them. As for the tracks, well I think we all know what tracks look like.

As for the soccer question, when my father and half my family come from Denmark and the other side of the family is Dutch, I have grown up playing and watching it. Have played the other codes but always come back to soccer.

Cheers

View attachment 77817

View attachment 77818

View attachment 77819

View attachment 77820

View attachment 77821

View attachment 77822

View attachment 77825

View attachment 77826

View attachment 77827

View attachment 77828

decals.JPG

metal.JPG

sprue 1.JPG

sprue 2.JPG

sprue 3.JPG

sprue 4.JPG

sprue 5.JPG

sprue 6.JPG

sprue 7.JPG

sprue 8.JPG

D

dubster72

Kresten, I think the moulded writing is in fact how they came from the factory. I've looked at a number of reviews in the past & none mentioned this as an error by Dragon. Also the Tamiya Pershing I built had something similar on the engine deck.

Cheers Patrick

Z

Ziper_it

I just finished reading this and it mentions that casting numbers were moulded in foundry thought according to the picture below they were smaller.

View attachment 77842

Wonder if this is the same as in yours.

Francesco

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392232134.548399.jpg

K

Kressy_13

Thanks guys. Makes a bit more sense now. Didn't think dragon would make a mistake like that.

K

Kressy_13

Thanks mate, we shall see. So i'm already confused by the first step. Hahaha. Am I supposed to make the wheel sections up so they move or not? Looks like it can be but I think it could prove to be a problem later on. All help welcome.

View attachment 77860

DSC_0088.JPG

P

Polux

I have the same wheels and instructions!! :smiling3:

My intention is primer the wheels first, add the general colour and the last step is paint the black colour around those wheels. All the suspension pieces will be painted one by one...I know is longer way, but I'm sure the final result will be better.

Then will add all the set at the lower chasis.

Polux

Last edited:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking real good ive got some of them casting transfers from archer they look real nice

D

dubster72

The bogies don't move, its the triangular sections ( V1 & V2) that on a real Sherman would flex to provide suspension travel. Dragon instruction sheets are not always the most helpful items! I'd do a search & see if there are any build guides out there.