''Lanc ON a Bottle'' !!...A bit different this one!

I

ian lanc

Last year in July me and the wife were invited to a 49 Reunion which was held at Petwood Hotel

and was given an empty wine bottle, of only twenty produced for the re-union and I pondered

that night as to what to do with this empty bottle and then it jumped at me and thought...

''I know why not make a 49sqd 'Lanc' model and mount it on the bottle''!

The wine was made and bottled by a small company in Germany and the labels are in gold leaf on the bottle is a 49sqd Lancaster EA*D. ED702.

Crew..

P/O C T Anderson, Sgt R C Paterson, F/Sgt J P Nugent, F/Sgt G J Green, F/Sgt W D Bickle, F/Sgt E Ewan , Sgt A W Buck.

Lost 23rd Spetember 1943 Op Mannheim and was shot down by Lt Heinz Grimm, member of the staff of the IV./ NJG (Nachtjagdgeschwader) G9+CE I.

Noted and changed that the rear turret guns was placed wrongly which I changed within half an hour :sobbing:

The kit is the Airfix 1/72nd and NOT a Hasegawa kit! I removed all the side windows from the fuselage which took hours.

Full crew including bomb aimer! As if it shouldn't have...lol

Started : November 6th 2012. Finished January 7th 2013.

Enjoy....

Thanks for looking.

Ian

Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Ian, love the idea too. You said you removed the side windows, but they still appear to be there?

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Nice work Ian, love the idea too. You said you removed the side windows, but they still appear to be there?
All Airfix kits have solid in-filled windows and to replicate a fuselage with side windows you have two options

paint in fake windows[which looks crap] or open them up and fill them in with Crystal Clear, I cut them out!

S

Sky Raider

Nice result mate. Shame the bottle was empty before you got at it lol

Andy

S

Stevekir

I like the closeups. I now know what to aim for when I do my Ravell Lanc in the Summer.

How did you do the canopy frame? Hand cut Tamiya masking tape, or an Eduard mask set?

T

treyzx10r

Ian thats awesome,great concept too! Very nicely done Sir!!!!!!

I

ian lanc

\ said:
How did you do the canopy frame? Hand cut Tamiya masking tape, or an Eduard mask set?
You'll never believe me if I told you !.....Its all hand brushed and not masking tape was used at all.

Honest it is :artist:

Ian.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great idea and build Ian! Its a rare sight to see a bomber in flight pose with full crew, excellent. Did you weight the bottle with sand or something , it would be a crime if it toppled over and damaged the lanc. 5 star job , cheers tony

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Nice result mate. Shame the bottle was empty before you got at it lol Andy
I did manage to have two full glasses of wine out the bottle before it was empty, nice too :wiggle:

\ said:
Did you weight the bottle with sand or something , it would be a crime if it toppled over and damaged the lanc. 5 star job , cheers tony
I used some black volcanic stone as used in fish tanks, its very heavy and the bottle is full of the stuff.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
All Airfix kits have solid in-filled windows and to replicate a fuselage with side windows you have two options paint in fake windows[which looks crap] or open them up and fill them in with Crystal Clear, I cut them out!
Ah, I get it now, sorry I thought you were meaning you removed the windows altogether. A senior moment!

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
What a brilliant idea, and really well executed. Top work mate.

Tony.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Ian a fantastic build but I can't say I'm a fan of it being mounted on a bottle.

Vaughan

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Ian a fantastic build but I can't say I'm a fan of it being mounted on a bottle.Vaughan
Right Vaughan!

The reason for it being mounted on a wine bottle is that the person who bottled and made the wine

has a winery in Germany and he was responsible for locating/finding the crashed Lancaster ED702,

The love of his life is making wine and 'that' Lancaster, the display of the model is to be the 'main'

attraction in his vast wine show room and will be treasured for many years to come.

Ian.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Ah I see that make sense, it just seemed odd to me but that's a really nice tribute. A great build all the same.

Vaughan

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Ian, the Airfix kit looks great. Hang on, here's an idea, what about a Lancaster in a bottle ? Good heavens, I can hear the response from here...................

I

ian lanc

\ said:
Hang on, here's an idea, what about a Lancaster in a bottle ? Good heavens, I can hear the response from here...................
:oops: When I first started the build many friends said...''How the hell are you to get that in the bottle''.....''Have you gone mad''

I replied ''Rear my title more carefully''.....He was very embarrassed about his comment and that he lacked reading my title correctly :sorry: