Lancaster

M

Morpheus

Hello all,

Only recently joined the forum after coming across it on the Web while searching for models.

I have not built a model plane since I was a kid but want to get back in to it and have always wanted to build a lancaster bomber so I am looking for advice on which one people feel is best for details, build quality and value for money.

I will probably have 101 questions to ask on advice for best glues and such these days but will browse the forums me to see if my questions have already been covered.

Was looking at getting the TAMIYA 64388 Plastic Model Technique Guide book,, has anyone had a copy and recommend it?

Many thanks

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The Lancaster, a great aircraft to build. But, if you haven't built since you were a kid (having taken a bit of a break like many of us did) maybe you should consider something smaller and cheaper. Then when you are happy, go for the big one.
As for tips, youtube has loads of tutorials, but this forum is still a great place to ask questions.

Colin M,

P

Plastickitbasher

Try a couple of the Airfix or Revell starter kits to cut your teeth and ease your way back into the hobby.
Tips and hints well this forum is full of them, there's always youtube for how to videos.

As for the Tamiya book not read it so can't really say.

Above all else just have fun.

M

Morpheus

You won't be disappointed airfix kits are easy to assemble

Thanks, hopefully go well, will post a few pictures if it does, think I will need some better glue as if I remember the supplied glue is rarther thick.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You will be ok with the kit you've chosen. I've done 3 of the dogfight doubles with good results. Welcome to the forum.

D

Doug Hughes

The Beau/190 double should be lots of fun. I've made the 190 separately and it's excellent (a few fit issues around the cowling not withstanding). The Beau is on its way from the Scale Model Shop as we speak!

M

Morpheus

I do like the look of the Beaufighter, maybe one I will try as a larger scale model.

Is it worth me getting some Revell model body putty filler and grey primer?

Is there a tool and materials guide on this forum?

Thanks

First Name
colin
Hi Dave
there is a tips and reviews threads on the forum but if you need advice just ask the guys on here at a very helpful bunch
You will need filler personally I use milliputt because its water soluble so its easy to clean up. Not keen on revells brand.
And for primer I use Vallejo through my airbrush

M

Morpheus

Hi Dave
there is a tips and reviews threads on the forum but if you need advice just ask the guys on here at a very helpful bunch
You will need filler personally I use milliputt because its water soluble so its easy to clean up. Not keen on revells brand.
And for primer I use Vallejo through my airbrush

Thanks Colin, I noticed alot of people use air brushes now, I saw a beginner airbrush set for around £65 I thought looked ok.

First Name
Alex
Like you I've only recently got back into modelling, and it definitely pays off to build a few kits first before moving on to something a bit more complex, you will inevitably want to try out new techniques as and when you discover them. I would suggest looking at some of the fine finished aircraft builds on the forum to get an idea of what can really be achieved once you reach a certain skill level. Things I use now like decal fix, clear gloss varnish, masking tape, needle nose tweezers, model filler, all things I never used as a young'un they take some practice to get used to. I'm a brush painter but i know from other posts on the forum, moving on to spraying (if you are completely new to it) is quite a jump and requires a fair amount of practice so if you're going to practice then kits like the airfix spitfire, or mitsubishi zero are simple to build, cheap and if you really mess it up then it's not the end of the world, but if you went out and spent £40 on say a 1:48 scale bomber and fudged it, that's a lot of work to re-do.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
First Name
Alex
That's a nice selection, wow TKMaxx , I never considered they would sell airfix kits. I'm currently doing a Hawker Hurricane Mk1 with the new tooling and it's definitely a nice kit so far, one of the better 1:72 kits with a good amount of detail for that scale. I got the RAF bomber re-supply set for xmas http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/bomber-re-supply-set-1-72.html which is good but that means I'm going to have to build a diorama and get a bomber for that one! then there's the question of where do I put it ? I'm going to wait a while before I do that since it's a more complex set up. It's very easy to get into the habit of buying loads of kits but i would advise some restraint else you may end up with a mountain of unfinished work, I try not to have more than three stocked up at any one time.

First Name
Stuart
welcome to the forum Dave,everybody on here is great so you will get loads of tips and help if needed.
look forward to seeeing your builds