Latest acquisitions

First Name
Patrick
Asparagus-setaceus-3.jpg
No, it's not a misplaced post that should be on a gardening forum!
This is the Asparagus fern (otherwise known as plumosa fern) which is used to make pine trees.

I'm hoping that I can do the same... :eek:

monica

SMF Poster
First Name
monica
I have herd of this method,Patrick,will you be trying to preserve the branches in any freeze,?
I did try in water with PVA,kind of worked,but so hard to spread the leaves out again,
will be very interested to see how you tackle ,this one,;)

First Name
Patrick
I have herd of this method,Patrick,will you be trying to preserve the branches in any freeze,?
I did try in water with PVA,kind of worked,but so hard to spread the leaves out again,
will be very interested to see how you tackle ,this one,;)
Moni, I'm going to attempt to preserve them with a glycerine & water mixture. From what I've read, it's 2 parts water to 1 part glycerine.
I'll keep a record of my adventures & post up the results...good or bad! ;)

Where did you get them Patrick they are just what I'm after
Col I found this on a website called Crocus.co.uk. The plant is £9.99 plus £4.99 for delivery. As a first time customer I also got 20% off which was nice.

There's a company in America called The Scenic Factory who sell both the preserved fern & all the bits to make fir trees, but shipping costs make it expensive & anyway, it's more fun trying to do it oneself...famous last words!

col68

First Name
colin
Thanks Patrick I have made 5 trunks but the branches are naked at the minute I wonder if the local florists have anything similar ?

First Name
Patrick
Thanks Patrick I have made 5 trunks but the branches are naked at the minute I wonder if the local florists have anything similar ?
I looked & looked but could only find it either on Crocus or Waitrose via mail order. Maybe a local garden centre?

monica

SMF Poster
First Name
monica
Moni, I'm going to attempt to preserve them with a glycerine & water mixture. From what I've read, it's 2 parts water to 1 part glycerine.
I'll keep a record of my adventures & post up the results...good or bad! ;)

Col I found this on a website called Crocus.co.uk. The plant is £9.99 plus £4.99 for delivery. As a first time customer I also got 20% off which was nice.

There's a company in America called The Scenic Factory who sell both the preserved fern & all the bits to make fir trees, but shipping costs make it expensive & anyway, it's more fun trying to do it oneself...famous last words!
ta Patrick,I did have a go,mixed results,as hard to spread them back out,have seen a couple of youtubes about it,must give it a nother shoot as well,
will look forward to seeing how this gets on,;)

tommy1drop

SMF Poster
Nice choice John, these are a re-box of the old Italeri Elephant if memory serves me right, and they still build into a lovely kit;)

monica

SMF Poster
First Name
monica
nice Patrick, were do you keep finding these,s one,should be a nice build,;)

monica

SMF Poster
First Name
monica
well yet another cheapo ,from chine,this one has 3 needle,/nozzles,.2mm .3mm .5mm
so out of this lot,should be able to get two,AB,working some what,I hope,:confused:,
have one for each set,as my others have bent needle,how I do it,no clue,:eek::rolleyes:,
and if you ask why do I,get cheapo,s ,because I do silly things,and bend the needle tips,
again no clue,:confused:
So,I,m hoping this .5mm with sort the vallejo,primer,its been driving me mad,not spraying,
even tinned,down,to about,50/50.:mad::confused:

Attachments

PWick

SMF Poster
First Name
Patrick
nice Patrick, were do you keep finding these,s one,should be a nice build,;)
Yes monica, shame though that the kit comes in yellow, one of my all time favourite colours, but the sides and floor come in an awful grey/green, no where near what colour the 'woody' sides should be!

monica

SMF Poster
First Name
monica
Yes monica, shame though that the kit comes in yellow, one of my all time favourite colours, but the sides and floor come in an awful grey/green, no where near what colour the 'woody' sides should be!
oh lol,the colors are just grand,:rolleyes::D
you should have fun with them.;)