Latest Samurai

First Name
Bill
This is my recently finished Samurai. ( I like Samurai's).
ha samurai.1JPG.JPGha samurai.2JPG.JPGha samurai4.JPGha samura6i.JPGAn old 90mm White Models item that I got on the bay. One of the most complex pieces I have ever done.

Next on the bench is a Native American so will be something different if my Samurai's are getting boring.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a really fine piece Bill. It must have been a complex assembly job as well. Really long bow they had wasn’t it ;)

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think the bow was asymmetric as they trained to also fire from horseback - similar to the Assyrians (although their bow was compound I think). Not nearly as effective as the English longbow though!
Steve

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Lovely painting here Bill, very colourful and a ultra realistic base. The bow and arrows are superbly well done. Looks a long complex project. How long did this take?

Regards,

Gavin.

First Name
Bill
Thank you all for your kind words.

Tim, the bow by the 16th century could be up to 2 metres long, incredible when you consider the average Japanese at the time was about 5 ft 3. I suspect that the longer the bow the less effort was required to draw it but I don't know. I have read two theories for it being shorter at the bottom, 1 as Steve says to made using it easier on horseback and 2 to enable it to be used in the kneeling position. Either seem plausible.

Gavin, this was started after Christmas in daily sessions of 1-2 hours.

Cheers
Bill

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Good job. I get cold sweat just looking at all those flimsy, breakable bits. How did you string the bow? Looks very convincing.

First Name
Bill
Thanks guys.

Paul, believe it or not this kit comprises 58 parts not counting the arrow in the foreground that I added. The bow is strung with rigging cord but this tends to lose it's tension over time so I may replace it with some elasticated cord.

Bill

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thank you all for your kind words.

Tim, the bow by the 16th century could be up to 2 metres long, incredible when you consider the average Japanese at the time was about 5 ft 3. I suspect that the longer the bow the less effort was required to draw it but I don't know. I have read two theories for it being shorter at the bottom, 1 as Steve says to made using it easier on horseback and 2 to enable it to be used in the kneeling position. Either seem plausible.

Gavin, this was started after Christmas in daily sessions of 1-2 hours.

Cheers
Bill
Wow…..that’s just huge….. I’ve just had a read up on them. I know nothing about bows apart from that they throw arrows, but it seems a third theory is that the asymmetric design gives a better, more accurate grip, and reduces shock when the arrow is released……I bet an archer from the period would laugh at all of them though….

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely, being asymmetric and the shorter end below and the way he is gripping shouldn't it be the other way round? Doesn't give much room at that angle but well painted. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Wabble

First Name
Bill
Lovely, being asymmetric and the shorter end below and the way he is gripping shouldn't it be the other way round? Doesn't give much room at that angle but well painted. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Wabble
I think you are right but I have built it as the kit box art and it was a real fiddle getting it together like this. His arm would have to be in different configuration to hold the bow the other way up.

Bill

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

Cheers,
Wabble
Theres always one isn’t there ;)