Layers of enamels required?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening all

Been using Colourcoats enamels for the first time to paint the hull of KGV, it's had 3 dust coats but it's still patchy, how many layers are normally needed?

Thinning at 50/50 and 20psi??

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I normally give a dust coat then a wet coat. Job done.
I find thinning a bit pot luck as some need more thinning than others. I go for 'thin until like milk'.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I normally give a dust coat then a wet coat. Job done.
I find thinning a bit pot luck as some need more thinning than others. I go for 'thin until like milk'.
What psi do you use Ian and about the usual distance, 6 inches or so??

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good morning Bob.
Just had a look. compressor is at 20psi on the dial, I am normally at about 2" for the smaller parts, 4 for the rest sounds about right. But I seldom spray with the air 'full on', I tend to hold back quite a bit.
20psi might sound a bit high but works for me. Airbrushes are both bottom fed Badgers, so they need a bit more oomph than a gravity fed one. One is an Anthem 155 the other, my work horse, a Cresendo 175 the saving grace is that I can put a "glass" of paint on the bottom and spray a whole 1square metre in one go! lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good morning Bob.
Just had a look. compressor is at 20psi on the dial, I am normally at about 2" for the smaller parts, 4 for the rest sounds about right. But I seldom spray with the air 'full on', I tend to hold back quite a bit.
20psi might sound a bit high but works for me. Airbrushes are both bottom fed Badgers, so they need a bit more oomph than a gravity fed one. One is an Anthem 155 the other, my work horse, a Cresendo 175 the saving grace is that I can put a "glass" of paint on the bottom and spray a whole 1square metre in one go! lol
Thank you Ian

Just had another go and it's gone pear-shaped. Most of the hull is ok

But the Paint has a gritty feel at the bow which means I am spraying too far away, nuts. Will have to let it dry and lightly sand the areas and go again, not happy, stupid mistake. I tend to stand while spraying but when my room is ready I can sit properly

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Thank you Ian

Just had another go and it's gone pear-shaped. Most of the hull is ok

But the Paint has a gritty feel at the bow which means I am spraying too far away, nuts. Will have to let it dry and lightly sand the areas and go again, not happy, stupid mistake. I tend to stand while spraying but when my room is ready I can sit properly
Bob, I had the same problem with the clear gloss coat on my P70 and I found very useful to use steel wool # 0000 to smooth down the surface; it's only drawback is the large quantity of steel powder you will find on your bench at the end. Don't forget to wear latex/nitrile gloves to protect your hands: the steel wool as a whole ( :rolling: )is soft but its fibers can irritate your skin.
Andrea

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Andy, I know its my fault and I need to get it sorted ASAP as I need to take all the equipment out and empty the garage, ready for a skip then the builders

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just lightly rubbed all the hull down then run over it with a tac cloth, will repeat in the morning. Then another go!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Maybe worth approaching like it's a tank. Instead of painting the hull as one big section, break it into sections, even hull plates if they're there. It could give a good effect as well.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ah the mention of a tac rag/cloth .Don't see it mentioned much Bob.
Can't help with the enamels sorry.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Maybe worth approaching like it's a tank. Instead of painting the hull as one big section, break it into sections, even hull plates if they're there. It could give a good effect as well.
Good point Ian!
Ah the mention of a tac rag/cloth .Don't see it mentioned much Bob.
Can't help with the enamels sorry.
Hi John

Always used them, does pull a lot of dust to be fair and not expensive.

Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well, another go. Looked poor with a nasty run. It looks better now its drying but still need to sand down the run. Started using the needle restricter which helped

Although it's my fault, think I will stuck to Mr Color lacquers and may stick with enamels for brushing, only issue the availability and postage?

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One last, silly but important question. You did remember to stir the shi snot out of the paint in the tin befor mixing the paint with thinner for spraying.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
One last, silly but important question. You did remember to stir the shi snot out of the paint in the tin befor mixing the paint with thinner for spraying.
Hi Ian, stired it until I had a dizzy spell,but maybe even more required?

About to post pictures now the masking is off, be scared, very scared lol