Layout Questions...

P

Polux

Hi all.

I know that some members here are train layouts builders....so, I have a few questions and doubts, please.

Which is the best way to weathering the houses and buildings....?

I repainted all the items, and I added a matt varnish coat as well....but all they look...”plastic kits”. Maybe a dry brush effect or I can use pigments....

DSC_1882.JPG

The vegetation! Which is the best option?

I need to repaint it...? or the commercial one looks fine used directly...

I’m planning to build different platforms like this....

DSC_2940.JPG

I thought they will be perfect to learn ;)

How I can call them (the train will work)...? Dioramas, layouts,.....? :confused:

Thanks

Polux

D

dubster72

I don't know what scale the layout is Polux so it's hard to advise about the vegetation.

That building looks very good to me, perhaps some light staining with oils on the timber & add lichen staining to the brickwork?

It doesn't need much IMHO

B

Benhur

For weathering just use acrylics. For stations mainly black for soot if you are running steamers. Thin the paint and let it run into the brickwork. For roofs shades of green around the gutters. For vegetation get a Faller catalogue where you will find all you need. Spread water based glue thinned on the baseboard then add scatter material of the colour required mixing the greens and browns. For ballast add a touch of greens for weeds.

For N gauge you can use clumps of HO gauge large scatter for small bushes. Faller jars of scatter which allow you to spread easily as they have a small opening at the top.

Some green scatter material around the base of buildings to look like weeds ... not all the base but just parts. Most buildings have trees or bushes beside them and of course people

Depending on where your layout is do not over weather. Swiss country houses for example are clean but town houses will need some weathering. Don't use pigments as your buildings will collect dust and will need to be cleaned from time to time as dust is the enemy of model rail.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
To me weathering a building comes down to individual taste, and each of us would come up with something slightly different.

If it were my building I would add the following...

As Patrick suggests add lichen ( no oils though) I would also add moss growing up the 'log' platform and a line of the same at the base of the vertical boarding.

I would vary the red shading on the building brickwork. It looks too much the same shade of red.

Vary the shades of brown on the vertical boarding on the building. Not just patches, but make the shade difference from top to bottom on individual boards.

I would consider re-painting the windows, say a brown for instance. The colour as it is seems to 'bounce out' at the viewer and perhaps needs a more neutral colour?

It seems we are of one accord boys.....dirt and weeds.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Every building benefits from weathering to some degree or repainting to suit the region or era being modelled. I used Bachmann Scenecraft resin buildings on my layout after detailing and selective repainting, the doors and windows were changed from maroon to Scottish Region light blue. I also applied washes and pigments were needed, if you use a pigment fixer you will have no concerns.

I use mostly Woodland Scenics for scenery, its pricey but the variety is good, the rock moulding kits are excellent. Close attention to the real thing or photos will be your greatest resource, I find myself looking at how buildings etc weather in real life almost everyday and see inspiration in them from how rain streaks from a bridge parapet to graffiti.

Here's some from my layout.

WP_20151227_09_22_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20151227_09_22_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20151227_09_23_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20151227_09_24_29_Pro.jpg

P

Polux

Thank you very much to all for your comments and advices. ;)

I must admit that....since I’ve been started my father’s layout; I’m feel really impressed with the railway modelling. You need to know how to use some different fields like wooden, electrical, scratch build,.... simply fascinating :eek:

Anyway it helps me, as well, to learn that......well, that I need to learn a lot!!!!

I discovered that paint and weathering a tank is “simple”.....paint a building and obtain a realistic look is really difficult, almost for me. :confused:

So the best way I have is to change my mind and habits....is time to learn new things :smiling3:

I will continue the current layout on the same way.... but I will start on parallel some little bases, just to learn those new tips and techniques. I have to change my way of painting the items :smiling3:

I'll still leave this thread opened, where I will continue asking question and looking for your advices.

Thanks

Polux

Last edited:
P

Polux

The first step is the brick walls.

After some real photos, I realized two things..... The first one is that I need to renovate my colour stash. The German grey and the British Olive drab don’t work there!!

And the second is a wrong habit.....I usually add “dark” washes, but after seeing these photos, I should add “light” washes.....

DSC_2942.JPG

DSC_2943.JPG

DSC_2944.JPG

DSC_2961.JPG

And the roof....? I usually try to emulate old and weathered roof and most of them still looking a clean look!

DSC_2945.JPG

DSC_2949.JPG

P

Polux

This old factory is ideal for a train layout and as a reference... :smiling3:

DSC_2953.JPG

DSC_2955.JPG

DSC_2956.JPG

DSC_2957.JPG

First Name
rob
Just finishing my oo gauge engine shed. Used pastels for the brickwork to bring out the mortar. Will use a darker pastel around the recessed areas.painted the window frames and scratch built new opening doors.bit more detail painting to do and soot and rust stains20160216_195427.jpg

20160216_195411.jpg

P

Polux

\ said:
How is the layout progressing. Must be close to being finished.
Hi David!

In fact is stopped!! I showed it to my father, and he loves it!

But I showed the wooden kit, as well!! And now, he is expecting for more items like that!! :D :D :D

B

Benhur

Hi Polux. Asking a lot here but is it possible for you to do a video of the layout working.

Will see if I have sufficient computer skills to post some pics of my layout.