LE*D. Another ace.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been building the aircraft of famous aces recently so I thought I'd extend that to the group build. This one will however be one of "ours". Here's the original aircraft,with a pilot who surely needs no introduction standing in the centre.

Though this is the photograph that I'm basing my model on.

I've ordered a PCM kit in 1/32. I gather it is a bit tricky but after my recent Hasegawa kit,which more or less jumped out of the box and built itself, it should be a different type of fun.

How long have we got,officially? I think my build will be a bit sporadic due to work.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice choice Steve.This is the normal GB so three months. If you take longer....So what.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Ian. Three months Eh? I might try to do my back up as well. It's a bit more predictable (for me) and I've already got a kit I can alter to make this.

Photo:

Dodgy profile (mine won't look quite like this!)

Cheers

Steve

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This is going to be a nice build Steve, i'm drooling already mate (or is that my dinner making me do that?).

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Go for the hurry. Love to see what you get out of her. The 190 does look good though!Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hurricane it is and guess what? The postman just delivered a kit (at two o'clock in the afternoon!).

I've had a look and it seems nice. There are plenty of online reviews so I won't bore you with the details but you get a pile of plastic,a fret of photo etch,some nice looking resin, a sprue of clear parts (which doesn't look great to be honest) and a nice selection of decals.

I'm a bit busy for the next ten days or so but after that I should be able to make a proper start. I'll start posting piccies of the ensuing massacre then :ohno:

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good to see the kit has arrived Steve.

Your thread just prompted me to root through my WW2 books and I found the 'Reach for the Sky' paperback, the story of Douglas Bader.

Your photo of the Canadian 242 Sqn. is in the book and, of course, the pilot you refer to is Pilot Officer Neil Campbell. He is stood next to the bloke with his hands in his flying suit pockets (Whoever he is!)

Also in the book is a picture of Bader and Willie McKnight looking at the Squadron Emblem, a cartoon drawing of Hitler being kicked in the a*** by a jackboot.

I noticed it's painted on the engine cowl in your Hurri. photo...Can you get this in 1/32, or any scale for that matter.lol

Good luck with the build, and it's good to have you along for the ride!

Cheers,

Ron

P.S. Your photo of the Fw190 was one you sent me during our P.M. discussion on obliterating national markings and I was considering doing it for the 'Picture G.B.', so it's a good job i'm doing my swimming Tiger instead.....!

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Methinks you mean a photo taken at Coltishall in September 1940. It shows Ball,some other bloke and McKnight looking at that other blokes nose art.

It's such a nice piccy it would be rude not to share it!

The decal sheet has markings for six Hurricanes all flown by well known pilots. Lacey, Mckellar,Tuck,Urbanowicz, Frantisek and of course D.R.Bader a.k.a. "the other bloke". It does have the boot kicking Adolph up the jacksie on it.

My brother has a copy of "Reach for the Sky" signed by the man himself but won't part with it,even for a case of Chablis!

I doubt I'll have time to do the Fw190 in the GB but I'll probably take a swing at it anyway.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for sharing the Squadron emblem picture with us Steve. Interestingly, the picture in the book (my copy anyway) has the 242 on the top of the boot cropped off!

So it is nice to see the full picture, or do I spy the continuation of the boot/ breeches?

I'm glad to read the emblem is included in the kit, so you are 'good to go'

I look forward to when you make a start. Sometimes this work lark really gets in the way doesn't it? Thank goodness I'm as good as retired!lol

Cheers,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There is a bit of trouser leg above the boot. I'm pondering where the emblem sits relative to the demarcation between the camouflage colours. All reputable profiles show the boot and Adolph pretty much above the dark green,painted on to the Dark Earth. The restoration in my piccy disagrees and none of the photos I've got really show it to advantage Mmmmmmmm.

This raises another conundrum. Do I do an air show queen,as in the hangar piccy,or do I do the real aircraft as she was in the other piccy with Bader et alter in 1940? Mmmmmmmmm.

I've got a week or so to ponder this.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
For what it's worth, and as you are doing famous Pilots, I would like to see Bader's aircraft in 1940. I'm not sure, but didn't he have DB as part of his aircraft I.D. letters and he was called 'Dogsbody'? Or was that later when he flew spitfires?

Reference the position of the emblem, in your picture of the three pilots, I see two 'holes' in the engine cowl. They would be the perfect line up for the decal on the model....providing they appear on your 1/32 kit! lol

Good luck. Which ever route you take, I'm sure it will be a great model.

Cheers,

Ron

T

treyzx10r

Steve great subject choice ,do'nt do the hangar queen go for the other piccy!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I agree ,I'll take a stab at a 1940 version. It won't be a real mucky puppy but a service aircraft rather than the shiny air show queen in the hangar photo.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

Just caught up with this...

You've beaten me to the punch! I'm building the Bader Hurri as part of my face off builds (although not for a long while yet). I've even got a Bader figure to go with, if you're interested it's by Fine Molds. I will be keeping up with this thread to see how the PCM kit builds up. It doesn't look a bad kit to me, although I'm aware there are some not so glowing reviews. Best of luck Steve

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Paul,I might take a look at the figure,not my forte by any means but it would add a little something.

I take it you are doing the same kit. I can't remember if your face off was in 1/32 or 1/48.

Anyway,not enough Hurricanes get built in any scale!

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

Yep, exactly the same kit and scale! It'll be a long, long while before I get round to the build though! I'll be following your build for any pointers! Anyway, as with all your builds, I'm looking forward to a quality model.

All the best

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well I've made a start. It is certainly a multi media kit. All I've done is the instrument panel which is styrene and photoetch,along with the compass which is resin!

I have also had a good look at the rest of the kit which all looks pretty good. Slight delay as I can't find my razor saw to liberate the small resin bits from their casting blocks...scale-model shop to the rescue.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great start - smart looking panel. Very neat and detailed.

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been doing a bit of work on the fuselage but mainly I've been sorting out the resin parts. It occurred to me that some people may not have used resin and might appreciate a quick guide to show them how easy it is. There's nothing to be scared of. All you old hands can skip this bit :cheesygrin:

The parts invariably come attached to a casting block. This is how the exhausts for this Hurricane come.

Obviously we need to seperate the exhausts from the block. This is a fairly big lump so I clamped them in a vice.

Small parts may be seperated wiyh a sharp blade but for parts like this a razor saw is an indispensible tool. Wear a mask cutting resin,I'll spare you a picture of yours truly in a mask as this is a family friendly forum!

Once you've got the part seperated it may look a bit rough along the cut.

A bit of sanding will clean the part up,here's the basic clean up done.

A little more TLC and this bit will be ready for priming. It really is that easy!

Cheers

Steve