Lockheed T 33a Shooting Star

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy guys and gals (plural I might add),

Ok, this was yet another "quickie", I started on it at 5pm and this posting is 7:30 pm. I didnt even allow the alcad paint to dry like I should have, but the evening sun did a pretty good job of that for me.

Anyway, todays build was Academy's 1:48th scale model of the LOCKHEED T 33A SHOOTING STAR. And here she sits on my driveway:

A little history:

The T-33 was developed from the Lockheed P-80/F-80 by lengthening the fuselage by slightly over three feet and adding a second seat, instrumentation and flight controls. It was initially designated as a variant of the P-80/F-80, the TP-80C/TF-80C.

Design work for the Lockheed P-80 began in 1943 with the first flight on 8 January1944. Following on the Bell P-59, the P-80 became the first jet fighter to enter full squadron service in the US Army Air Force. As more advanced jets entered service, the F-80 took on another role - training jet pilots. The two-place T-33 jet was designed for training pilots already qualified to fly propeller-driven aircraft.

Originally designated the TF-80C, the T-33 made its first flight on 22 March1948 with US production taking place from 1948 to 1959. The US Navy used the T-33 as a land-based trainer starting in 1949. It was designated the TV-2, but was redesignated the T-33B in 1962. The Navy operated some ex-USAF P-80Cs as the TO-1, changed to the TV-1 about a year later. A carrier capable version of the P-80/T-33 family was subsequently developed by Lockheed, eventually leading to the late 1950s to 1970s T2V-1/T-1A SeaStar. A total of 6,557 Shooting Stars were produced, 5,691 by Lockheed.

have a good day all,

Greg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Nice history Greg to go with your Shooting Star,I have heard about this alclad paint,did you use a black primer on your model ? I understand that this is part of the process.

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Barry,

Yes, the Alcad "polished aluminum" paint requires the use of a high gloss black "base coat". Both the "base" and "color" coats are Laquers and must be applied via airbrush.

Once the base is dry (or in my case with this model, reasonably dry lol) you "mist" on the "color" finish with your airbrush....very little at a time.

It is truely amazing at the finishes you can achieve with these paints. They are however, abit on the expensive side. The polished aluminum and gloss black base bottles cost me the better part of $20 (US).

have a good day,

Greg