Looking for this aircraft logo

S

Saturn5tony

Found this cool T33 from the movie THIS ISLAND EARTH (below), and I see its from the air mail guard on the side of the plane but cannot make out the logo on the nose? Does anyone know what it says.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
that must be a special paint job for the film cos according to the tail code it was ordered from Lockheed in 1929.......which must be about 20 years before it first flew

S

Saturn5tony

Here is a closer view just before the actor Rex Reason, gets into the plane. This was filmed in 1955 so the paint job must have been special for this T33, especially being that the tail says 29546 as you said Paul. I have no Idea what tail numbers mean, but this does seem odd and I cannot find that odd nose painting. In the movie he was supposed to be an Electronics engineer but does not say where.

T-33 side3.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The tail codes aren't always a given for the fiscal year of manufacture. It was/is common for manufacturers to omit the first number. This could have been built in 1952 or 1962 (whichever decade is relevant).

S

Saturn5tony

It is hard to believe that this t33 was repainted for this movie. It does say Air Mail Guard under the cockpit so I am sure that the nose art is related to that part of the airforce in that division.

Here is the movie, one of my favorites:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Aircraft get painted all the time for films. More now than ever as there are fewer and fewer flying examples.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
air national guard aircraft normally has a 2 letter code denoting the state they are from on the tail.............where the red stripe is.....so i guess that was painted out, maybe for security reasons since this was a current aircraft when the film was shot..........so maybe they changed the serial code for the same reason

S

Saturn5tony

Actually it says. AIR NATL. GUARD. as in Air National Guard. Not sure if that helps any...
Oh yes of course, it does say that as I try to enlarge the photo and makes sense for the guard as well. Thanks for a great catch. Its always good to be accurate.

S

Saturn5tony

The Internet Movie Plane Database!! Wow I did not know about that, thanks so much Joe. California ANG 195th FBS! very cool! Now I can build one.