Lotus 25 chrome parts

F

Frostycab

In the middle of building a tamiya 1/20 Lotus 25 coventry climax and have hit a little problem.

The chrome parts spruce was a little out with some mold lines and flash etc. I've cleaned this all up but I no have the issue of getting all the parts back to chrome. I've looked into a few options but not sure which would be best.

The parts are very fine so not sure that bare metal foil would work, I'm guessing as it would need to wrap all the way round it would leave a crease?

I don't own an airbrush but will need to invest at some point, is Alclad going to be the only way to fix this? Is there any spray paint that would replicate polished steel and chrome?

Cheers for any help

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Depending on how fine the parts are, you could give Humbrol metal cote a try. They do a few, Steel, polished aluminium, dull aluminium and gun metal. For bright work I find that the polished steel works well. As does the polished alu.

Oddly enough the gun metal shines up to a nice bright shine with a good depth. They can be brushed on, but I normally spray them.

You would of course need to remove the chrome from the parts, before you paint them. I believe house hold bleach does the trick. Brake fluid as well. Just remember to rinse well afterwards.

Ian M

F

Frostycab

Cheers Ian, I'll give that a go. The bits are suspensions links and can't be more then 1.5mm in diameter at some points