Lotus 49 front wheel struts

A

AusA380

I'm building a 1/12 lotus 49 by tamiya. I can't decide whether to keep the chromed plastic front wheel struts stock or prime them and paint them in Matt aluminium. They look shiny on the real car but I think the chromed plastic looks too fake. Anyone built this model before or have any ideas on painting them?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You could keep the chrome look but dull down with some black oil paint and white spirit, you make a wash and dab or brush on, don't have it too thick. This should keep the chrome but just take the edge off the shine.

Si:smiling3:

First Name
Robert
As Si says this will dull down the chrome as sometimes as you have worked out the chrome plastic can look too toy like.

As its suspension strut it will naturally get in grained with oil and dirt and a light wash is never harmful.

Robert

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Famous chrome is always too chrome. I`'ve built several of their bikes. I always strip it in bleach and paint it.

R

roymattblack

The arms on the '49 are a very basic shape - cover them with Bare metal foil.

It looks like metal, because it is metal.

Roy.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
strip it and rechrome it..........the cheap and easy way, ......go buy a rattlecan of humbrol chrome.....its still chromey without being that shiney chrome

M

My Model Car Workshop

I have yet to build this kit, so I will see what I can do to tone the chrome down a bit, when I come to build it.