Lysander Revell 1/32 Finished

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job laurie , it looks fantastic. The revell lizzie is an old Matchbox tooling from the 70's/80's so i suppose we can forgive the few ropey bits like the landing lights , it still makes into a mighty impressive model and it is after all a Lysander in 1/32 scale! full marks to matchbox for having the guts to do it in the first place . Top build , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And now you have an extra great build doodab! A great result Laurie.

Love the camouflage and the worn effect is right on the money!!!

I do rather like the "spy taxi".

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A great build and paint job Laurie and glad to see you have finally finished it.

T

tecdes

Yes you are correct Tony Matchbox for that era produced a nice model. I moaned about certain parts ( what would I be without a moan) which were a bit horrible but then I also found it interesting sorting out the problems. Especially the wing falling off episode. Sure my sons & daughters would have loved to have been there to laugh at their father.

Am a bit naive at times Ian what does "spy taxi " mean ?

Yes nice to have this one finished Vaughan. Watched yours & Colins under construction. Do not think we will make a flight but the three together would look something.

Thanks for your three "doodabs".

Laurie

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I think Ian is referring to the agents /French Resistance that the lysanders used to drop in and pick up in France.

T

tecdes

Ah. yes. Apologies Ian. Not on the right wave length as my Lysander is Army Cooperation bound.

Think Vaughan's was the resistance Taxi which played such an important role in landing in France & taking off agents back to England. Their take off & landing with their graceful gull wings (providing they did not fall off) makes this strange aircraft an important number in WW11. Read many resistance stories with the Maquis waiting with a single torche on dark cold nights for the purr of their radial engines as it lands. Then many hands to turn around those long wings into the wind. Read "The Maquis" by George Millar an incredible story of his service with the Maquis around the Besancon area just after Normandy until the freedom of France. If you like that "The Horned Pigeon" his time after capture in the desert until his escape back to Britain & into service with the resistance.

A remarkable aircraft & just like all of British aviation we seem to be able to produce a remarkable array of aircraft which just fits the occasion. Hurricane Spitfire Wellington Lancaster Typhoon Harrier & civilian the dear old Comet. l put this down to the freedom & speculative nature of British people.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

Very nice. As you say: "a strange ugly duckling". I remember these over my head during the war with their hugely long wings. I wonder what they were doing.

T

tecdes

Thanks Steve. If you were in Shropshire I would think they were Army Cooperation unless there was a training unit near you. Or more than likely a transport machine as finding work for this aircraft must have been difficult as it was obsolete when it took to the air as army cooperation unit. Must have been some sight a very strange aircraft as if someone had tried to emulate a seagull.

Laurie

B

BigZimmo

Good job, Laurie!! It's an excellent looking Lysander, well done!!

Greetings from Germany

Stefan:smiling3:

T

tecdes

Thanks Stefan & Downscale (sorry no Christian name) very nice of you to say so.

That is interesting Steve. Just had a look and they were used during the Battle of Britain along the east coast in spotting downed aircraft survivors & dropping dinghys etc.

Amazing 1786 of these little "terrors" were built.

Laurie

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bit late with this Laurie, sorry.

What a great build, really nice all round job.....A cob looking aircraft for sure, but nothing else could do what these did during WW2.

Ron

T

tecdes

Thank for that Ron. Yes did a lot of work. Read many times Maquis written by an Englishman about the resistance in the Besancon area in France. Short field two torches 20 Frenchman. As soon as the aircraft had stopped they man handled the aircraft around out with the resistance chaps in with those going back to England & off. All within a near stones throw of the German Security Army.

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I was wondering where this one had got two. Anyway, great result, I bet it looks very impressive in the flesh. Yes, 1:32, it is a bit big - handle with care. Top marks for avoiding the Lysander droop.

Colin M

T

tecdes

\ said:
I was wondering where this one had got two. Anyway, great result, I bet it looks very impressive in the flesh. Yes, 1:32, it is a bit big - handle with care. Top marks for avoiding the Lysander droop.Colin M
Actually it had a big droop Colin. One of the wings fell off. :eek:

Laurie

T

tecdes

Thanks Aidan "young man". Very nice of you to say so.

Model work is improving as well ! :smiling3:

Laurie

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Actually it had a big droop Colin. One of the wings fell off. :eek:Laurie
The wings !! My sits high up on a cabinet, and I never touch the wings if I have to move it - far to delicate even in 1:32.