M35A1 Vietnam

A

andygh

OK, it's the AFV Club gun truck "Nancy" with the appropriate Eduard PE set. I'm looking forward to this one, only 24hrs to go now

Anyway, here are the preliminaries

F

Fenlander

Should be a good build Andy. I got my hands on an IDF (Israeli Defence Force) Sho't Centurion that AFV Club do, it is a very nicely moulded kit and promises to be a great built especially as I have the tracks and the gun mantlet cover they do as well.

This one of yours looks a really interesting subject, something a little different. Look forward to seeing it come together.

A

andygh

Yes, I've had my eye on the IDF tanks for a while now, very impressive.

I've built a couple of AFV Club kits, they went together beautifully and they are very finely moulded (ie. what will I bust first?:wink:smiling3:

I've never "done" rubber tyres before, do you guys paint them or weather straight onto the rubber?

F

Fenlander

I tend to give the rubber tiers a rub with a standing stick and spray paint them, primer first. The big problem with them is getting rid of the mould line that usually runs around the middle of the tread.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I built a revell kit the other week and that to had rubber(ish) tyres, I just gave them a good rub with a sanding stick to take the shine off the sides, then gave them a good going over on the treads. Worked out quite well. Bit of mud an muck and they pass muster.

The Faun I will be doing has more wheels than you can shake a stick at. Those might just get washed and painted. Those have side wall detail so I dont want to sand that off!

Thats a nice truck you got there Andy. I look forward to seeing this develop.

Ian M

A

andygh

A quick update on progress (or lack of it) so far.

If I'd realised how inaccurate the kit is I probably wouldn't have bothered. To be fair the problem is mostly to do with the 50cal quad, it should be trailer mounted, not on a pedestal. I have 4 choices here

1. Abandon the whole thing

2. Ignore the problem and build it with inaccuracies

3. Attempt to scratch build the trailer mounting and use the existing quad

4. Spend £20 on the Dragon quad kit

1 is not an option, too much time invested. 2? I just can't bring myself to do it, not now that I know what's wrong. 3 could be a big bag of trouble but looks favourite as if it all goes wrong I can always go down route no. 4

One other thing, the M60 machine gun is totally absent from the AFV Club kit, not even any mention of it so I have to find a source for this, there's no way I'm scratch building that little blighter. I'll probably get Tamiya's Ford MUTT which has one and the rest of the kit will still be usable

Not a kit for the feint hearted this one, it's a nice looking beast but what with the inaccuracies, missing detail and millions of injector marks it might take some time to get it done. Oh well, 2 more months to go

N

noble

Andy nice job so far lovely detail on the PE sections keep those pics coming.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh I do like a nice bit of PE work. Looking good Andy. Shame about the inaccuracy issues but I am sure that you will resolve them. Strange that the M60 is absent!

Two months yet so loads of time, he says and looks at the box full of sprues that will be a Faun one day!!!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work there Andy.

Ian M

A

andygh

Cheers Ian

This one shows the M60 pilfered from a Tamiya Ford MUTT kit, tarted up with a bit of etched ammo

N

noble

nice work andy tell me is the gun platform scratch built or kit? keep up the good work mate.

scott

A

andygh

Cheers, the white bits are the scratch built parts

Almost ready for paint now :woohoo:

A

andygh

I'm up to the weathering stages now but here's some pics of the paint and decals going on

I used Tamiya olive drab for the lower parts/chassis and lifecolor, which is paler, for the upper parts

A

andygh

The smaller details now painted, including the coloured "NANCY" decorations using the Eduard masks

That was earlier this week, since then I've done some pinwashes, filters and fading. Some chipping, more washes and pigments to come then I'll think about a base of some kind

N

noble

Lovely job so far andy nice paint work look forward to seeing it complete.

scott

R

Richy C

Looking very nice Andy , 1st class detailing and scratchwork mate

Richy