Making scenic columns

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi guys. I've been playing around with some simple dio stuff to get some practise. Part of that was to try and make a column which I could use in some sort of temple/city/ruin. This is what I came up with.

Materials:

View attachment 115238

Some 3mm foamboard (basically it's foam with a layer of card on each side). I changed my mind and decided not to use this - but then I changed it back again now I've finished. I'm going to cut out a couple of squares to put on the top and bottom of my finished column. You could use just about any sheet material for this.

A length of plastic tubing - no idea where I got it from but it was just the right size to go with:-

Two bottle tops from "Fruit Shoot". You need to remove the top and the white inner parts carefully with a pair of snips and leave just the blue bit (I left the clear retaining collar but that's up to you).

DON'T THROW THE OTHER BITS AWAY! PUT THEM IN YOUR SPARES BOX.

Some offcuts of 10mm insulating foamboard.

Some thin strips of plasticard.

Cut out a base and walls from the foamboard. Shape them as you like and distress the surface by bashing it with whatever hard object comes to hand. Fix them together with PVA or hot glue. add a few bits to create rubble as required.

View attachment 115234

View attachment 115240

I used a couple of toothpicks to hold them together while the glue set.

To make the column itself, cut the tubing to a suitable length. You could use any sort of tube/bottle top combination as long as the tube is a good fit inside the bottlecap.

I wanted to add some features to the tube by fixing the thin strips of plasticard along the length. To make sure the strips were straight, I marked a series of lines along the length as shown:

View attachment 115236

View attachment 115237

I only used these lines to help me keep the strips parallel, but if you wanted to be precise, you could work out the angles and mark out exactly where the strips should go. I did mine using the standard Mk I eyeball and I think they'll be OK when painted.

I used an elastic band around the tube to hold the strips in place while I lined them up. I cut eight strips originally thinking that would help out with the alignment, but they were too far apart so I ended up with nine. A touch with my liquid cement fixed them with no problems.

I had to chamfer the ends of the strips just a little to get the column to slide into the bottle caps, and I filled the gaps they created with superglue.

Done!

View attachment 115239

I'm going to add a square on the top and bottom as I don't think this is quite right yet. I'll post up the finished pictures when I've thrown some paint on it.

View attachment 115235

Base.JPG

Column done.JPG

Marking column 1.JPG

Marking column 2.JPG

Materials.JPG

Ready to paint.JPG

Wall.JPG

First Name
barry
Looks good Dave i used a similar idea with a plastic tube in my desert dio but poured plaster into a plastic tube that had a slit in it when dry it is easy to carve and knock bits off if you want a old style of column.

View attachment 115249

desert gun 2 018.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that's a very nice and useful spot of info Dave,

well done,and very good use of odds and ends, ;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Looks good Dave i used a similar idea with a plastic tube in my desert dio but poured plaster into a plastic tube that had a slit in it when dry it is easy to carve and knock bits off if you want a old style of column.
Must remember that one. You have reminded me I should maybe look at putting some horizontal grooves in mine - it's more likely to have been carved from several pieces rather than a single piece of stone.

D

Deleted member 3568

Great idea for me to pinch, sorry did I say that out loud.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that's a good point to add in ,as they were never done in one whole column ;) ,

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's great Dave nice use of materials :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. All done.

I cut some grooves as mentioned and I suspect I went a bit deep 'cos the b****y thing fell in half! No worries though, a bit of filler in the open ends and all is well. I basecoated in black as most sites I've looked at recommend it.

View attachment 115332

View attachment 115333

View attachment 115334

Couple of bits about the painting. I'm still using the glass top from a copier (although not for cutting PE - I think Ron is right about the risk there) and it makes life much easier. A bit of bluetack under your paint pot stops it tipping over and sliding about when you're brushing the excess off your brush on the lip. Any spills are left to dry and removed with a razor - easy peasy lemon squeezy!

View attachment 115337

View attachment 115336

View attachment 115335

Anyway. Here's the finished thing with a few oddments of sand and flock etc. It won't win any prizes, but I am encouraged. Gimme another twenty years or so, and I'll be as good as you guys!

View attachment 115338

View attachment 115339

View attachment 115340

View attachment 115341

Basecoat 1.JPG

Basecoat 2.JPG

Basecoat 3.JPG

Now you don't.JPG

Now you see it.JPG

Paint holder.JPG

Done1.JPG

Done2.JPG

Done3.JPG

Done4.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real good Dave,I do like it,and what a nice turn out well done, ;)