Making seat belts, FOD cover tassles etc.

B

Bootneck

I'm just returning to aircraft model making after a break of about 20 years and would like to share a tip with you on how I made inexpensive aircraft seat belts etc.

When I wanted to make anything which needed to 'wrap around' anything then I used to use old toothpaste tubes, cut into the relevent sizes and scales. Now I would use the tin foil wrappers that Swan-Moreton scalpel blades come in. Open the wrapper fully, flatten out the foil and then cut out the appropriate shape. Once cut to size, add additional pieces (for buckles, braces etc) and then prime, paint and fit to your model.

This method is just as useful for coats/capes on figures; straps on vehicle loads and trains and virtually anything that needs to be 'bendable' and can be easily wrapped around figures, Ejector seats or even the warning tassles/ribbons on FOD covers.

HTH

Bootneck

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good tip there. You can also use the foily stuff off the top of a wine bottle. You don't have to drink that much to make many harnesses!

Steve

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Good tip there. You can also use the foily stuff off the top of a wine bottle. You don't have to drink that much to make many harnesses!Steve
Litho plate is fantastic.

Andy

N

noble

nice one mate i will remember that one, hope you don't mind me nickin it.

scott

C

colprit

seat belts

\ said:
I'm just returning to aircraft model making after a break of about 20 years and would like to share a tip with you on how I made inexpensive aircraft seat belts etc. When I wanted to make anything which needed to 'wrap around' anything then I used to use old toothpaste tubes, cut into the relevent sizes and scales. Now I would use the tin foil wrappers that Swan-Moreton scalpel blades come in. Open the wrapper fully, flatten out the foil and then cut out the appropriate shape. Once cut to size, add additional pieces (for buckles, braces etc) and then prime, paint and fit to your model.

This method is just as useful for coats/capes on figures; straps on vehicle loads and trains and virtually anything that needs to be 'bendable' and can be easily wrapped around figures, Ejector seats or even the warning tassles/ribbons on FOD covers.

HTH

Bootneck
Bootneck I recently read somewhere that if you get a colour chart from a decorators shop you can cut strips from them and make your seat belts from them already coloured.

Colin