Maquette 1/35 T-34 Model 1940

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst I'm in a T-34 state of mind, I've dug this out of the stash
maquette t-34.jpg
It's a real 'shelf queen' I'll put some pictures up tomorrow, the lower hull & roadwheels have been assembled OK, but the turret - it looks like I put filler on with a trowel! - which is probably why I put it back in the box. It does have individual track links, some of which have been glued into runs. This model represents the first production T-34, and differs in many small ways from later models, enough to appear subtly different. I can't remember buying, or starting this - I reckon it's been in its' present state for a good ten years!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I suspect it will be harder to build than your last one, though :smiling3:

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Maquette was a Russian manufacturer that vanished in 2010. Some of their T-34 models have surfaced again from MSD ( I got my AM tracks for the ICM T-34 from them ), although being Russian, I can't see them being freely available!
State of play
DSCF3086.JPG
Hull looks OK, a few scuffs here & there to touch up......................
DSCF3085.JPG
The model has grey & white sprues, I think the grey sprues are for the 1940 T-34.

DSCF3084.JPG
A few odds & ends floating around, including an engine & transmission.........................

DSCF3088.JPG
.........you can fit the engine, but there aren't any other interior parts, or any way to see them, so I won't bother.
DSCF3087.JPG
Individual links - cleanly cast & already cleaned up :thumb2:
DSCF3083.JPG
The turret.............. it actually doesn't look that bad in the light of day! I reckon it's Milliput White, I'll find out how hard it's become after 10 years!
Well, I was thinking that this may be a landfill candidate, but looking at the parts, It looks quite good!
As is my normal method, I'll finish the lower hull & tracks before moving upwards.
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Good luck with this. That turret is going to need a lot of sanding. I hope the Milliput hasn't gone too hard or brittle after all those years.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
Good luck with this. That turret is going to need a lot of sanding. I hope the Milliput hasn't gone too hard or brittle after all those years.
Jim
Brittle is OK, hopefully it would flake off - but hard, having to stop every minute or so to the clean the file/sanding stick is a real pain - I might have to dig out the Dremel, as I don't want to put any stress on my hand. I'll see after lunch...................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After an hour or so total benchtime, I'm ready to start adding the tracks.......................
DSCF3090.JPG
I've been listening to some New Age stuff, whilst at the bench ( Enigma, Fever Ray etc ), nice to ring the changes - the other day it was Meatloaf! The tracks fit together well - they're not 'working' links, so it's just butting one against the next, then running TET along the edges. Smaller runs formed round the sprocket & idler. Allow an hour or so to dry, then prime, ready for the next step tomorrow
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A really miserable wet, dark, cold day in Gloucestershire. I didn't feel like doing the tracks, so I picked up the turret. After a minor session with the Dremel ( the Milliput was hard! ), and wet & dry, it's looking a lot better.
DSCF3091.JPG
A few eyebolts to add, then I'll prime overall & see if there are any more nasties to clean up...............
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That is looking very respectable. You’re knocking it into shape pretty well :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tracks added - not as easy as the ones I used on the ICM T-34/76 - I had difficulty in getting them to stay in place...............
DSCF3092.JPG
CA and kicker worked in the end!
Turret ready for a spray prime
DSCF3093.JPG
Only the upper hull to complete now.....................
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks better than you imagined then Dave , those wheels look nicely moulded . Think the track would beat me if you had problems .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looks better than you imagined then Dave , those wheels look nicely moulded . Think the track would beat me if you had problems .
John,
one of those days - the superglue wasn't so super, and I kept on dropping bits - the hand/eye co-odination wasn't in synch!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting Dave and coming on very nicely indeed!!

ATB.

Andrew

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
You seem to be getting the better of this 'shelf queen' Dave, Looks good.