Masking curves

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I watch a tv program called Overhaulin' quite a lot and have seen them use this product loads of times. It's called pin-stripe tape and is flexible enough to do moderate bends/curves. The type I have is made by 3M. I have found it really useful for following the curve of aircraft wings.

Here is a quick example of what I mean. It's only a shallow curve but you can definitely do sharper ones then that. There is no way I could have got that curve with just one piece of Tamiya tape Just remember to make it less sticky than when it starts are it's grippy stuff.

View attachment 105267

2013-12-16160443_zpsc7614c02.jpg

C

CDW

It's great stuff, the fun I've had with that sort of stuff on motors:smiling: :smiling:

Still got some knocking around I think, the reason why it sweeps so nicely is (if it's the same as the old stuff) it's made of polyurethane which stretches and keeps it's shape as the molecules settle.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yeah get the Eduard prop strips lol

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Thanks for the tip Allyne how much is the pinstripe tape and were would I get it from cheers John

First Name
Gregg
You should be able to get 'striping/lining tape' from any paint/bodyshop suppliers. I have roles from 1/8th to 1/2 inch, just remember to run the tape between your fingers before applying. This reduces the tack slightly, but not enough to stop it adhering to your surface.

I have used this type of lining tape in my bodyshop for 20+ years and found it invaluable.

Gregg