Masking off windows - A new way?

L

Lady_Phoenix

I may possibly have just invented a new way to mask off windows. Ive certainly not see it done this way before and find it easier than masking off windows and cutting excess with a knife.

You will need:-

Masking Tape

A File

The object you will need to mask off.

Please note that this only works when you need to mask off the entire area. So, for example, it will not work for masking canopies. Please excuse the poor photos.

Firstly place the masking tape over the object you wish to mask off. Please note that the arrow is not important. Ive added it as a reference to myself so that I know which way up I have dry fitted the window.

Then with a file, file the edges at a 45 degree angle.

Then file along the edges until a thin clear line is produced. PLEASE NOTE that you should stop once the line appears as further filing will result in you removing part of the object you want masked.

Continue until you have a line all along

Once the line is all along you are safe to CAREFULLY remove the outer mask from the object.

Then you can insert the masked piece where required

This isnt the best method ever but it is an alternative if you are worried about cutting with a knife (For example you are worried you may slip and scratch the canopy).

However, a couple of important rules.

When removing the outer mask, if you feel resistance then stop, and file it a touch more as you need a sharp edge. If it is not completely filed through and you tug then you could create a feathered edge.

Be very careful how far down you file. You want to file through the masking tape but not throught the object underneath.

The advantage of this is that of you mess up then all you have to do is remove the mask and start again. It can also be useful if you have circles or rounded edges as these can be difficult to cut with a knife. By using a file you can create the natural curve much more easily.

Hope this is useful.

Last edited:
M

m1ks

Good stuff, always nice to see someone throwing in a new method on anything.

L

Lady_Phoenix

Sorry, I forgot to add.

When you file you always do so in 1 direction AWAY from the middle. Dont file in two directions as you may pull the masking tape off the object. You would also risk filing to far in. The key is slow precise strokes.