Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Fury (PK-1)

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
My build of the Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Fury (PK-1). Like my Gladiator, I left off rigging as I do have dexterity problems that may have led to the Fury getting a flight test into the Scottish Borders countryside if I had tried to rig it. As this was an OOB build, I didn't do anything with the dodgy decals with the weird green otherwise I would have scanned them, corrected the colours and printed off my own. Despite the decals it is a lovely little kit, the first that Matchbox ever produced.

Matchbox_Hawker_Fury_72_2022_BM_GB_025.JPG

Matchbox_Hawker_Fury_72_2022_BM_GB_026.JPG

Matchbox_Hawker_Fury_72_2022_BM_GB_027.JPG

Matchbox_Hawker_Fury_72_2022_BM_GB_028.JPG

Matchbox_Hawker_Fury_72_2022_BM_GB_029.JPG

Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The first double Dogs Award , a rare thing indeed .
2020DB.jpg
Congratulations Dave .

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice! I'm sure I built a Fury as a child...... But rather obviously not to this quality!

Very well done.

Andrew

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great job surprising how these so called vintage kits still hold there own even after this length of time ,looking back I wonder how many youngster's got drawn in to this hobby by Matchbox with their multi coloured parts ,ready-made dio bases with the armour ,even the box art I feel made a kind of cool statement to kids of a certain age making airfix look a bit fuddy duddy what we'd call today for anoraks.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
that brings back good memories - the Matchbox biplane kits were always my favourite! The more modern stuff had panel lines like ditches & simplified detail. The Siskin,the Boeing P-12 & the Fury all were dainty & well detailed - once you got past the original multi-coloured sprues!. I still have a Heyford & a Seafox lurking in the stash somewhere.................
Dave

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks everybody. :thumb2:

I stopped modelling in 1976 when aged 17, I joined the Royal Navy but I did enjoy a few years making them. I thought they were great even though it was difficult to cover the garish colours. The trenchlines didn't really matter then - and they don't now. At that time I also made:

PK-77 : SdKfz. 124 Wespe - 1974
PK-27: HS Hawk - 1975
PK-8: Gladiator - 1972

PK-72 : A-34 Mk.I Comet - 1974
PK-71 : Sherman Firefly - 1974
PK-002 : Spitfire Mk. IX - 1972

It is no coincidence that in the past year I have made the top three again bringing back lots of happy memories. I will endeavour to buy the other three when I can. I am also doing the same with other makes that I made in the Seventies and am reliving my youth again. In those days I had made over 250 models by the time I joined the RN so it will be a long time before I can do them all again.

Dave

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's a lot of models Dave!! I made a couple of the Comets myself.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A HA Matchbox the first brand to give Airfix a run for their money.
I remember I built some of them, the names of which escape me, I recall one was totally glaring blue and yellow plastic. Took almost half a tin of Airfix paint to cover it. lol. Soon took care of the deep panels line that!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Dave I agree with the Race committee it’s the dogs looks great