Matchbox / Revell M1 Abrams

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
Finally, after a lapse of about 15 or 16 months, I have finally finished something!! ;) Most of 2022 and the first part of this year have not been conducive to my model building endeavors. This kit is okay, not the best M1 kit out there for sure, but was a fun build and I used it to try out several techniques and to try to at least make the model look good despite what inaccuracies it might have.
All the dust and fresh mud splatters were done with AK enamel products. All the dirt / grease stains on the rear deck were done with oil paints, the fuel stains were done with an enamel wash. The stowage bin rails were too thick as they came in the kit, but short of scratch building them, I added stowage and tarps made from epoxy putty to try to distract from the overly thick rails. This was not really successful, but at least the stowage bins are more interesting to look at now. I used fingernail foil material (which seems to be a very thin mylar material) to replicate the vision blocks. The foil material was cut into strips to fit the vision blocks and fastened in place with Gator's Grip Glue. Pictures of real M1's show the vision blocks to have a reddish orange color that switched to green depending on how the light reflected off them, such material was in the foil assortment I have, and this worked very well, I think. Lastly, I replaced the kit 50 cal. machine barrel with one from a Mig Ammo 3D printed gun as it was not warped and had better detail. The set also came with some ammo cans, and two of these were added to the stowage bins. The guns were painted with Model Master Gunmetal and polished with metallic pigment. The headlights were painted silver and a drop of epoxy was used to simulate the clear curved lens. Pencil lead was used to highlight some of the corners and edges that would experience some wear from the crew. Lastly Smoke pigment was used for the exhaust stain on the center grill on the rear hull. The paint scheme is unique to vehicles based at Fort Knox during the early 1980's.

52935274278_4f74e6242d_b.jpg

52935219430_a845d056e8_b.jpg

52935274273_1f6770922c_b.jpg

52935219430_a845d056e8_b.jpg

52934827866_ce1301a286_b.jpg

52935219385_bb893af04a_b.jpg

52934980324_100688a5ca_b.jpg

52934230787_64a5ae9985_b.jpg

It has been decades since I have built a 1/72 armor kit, so this was definitely something different for me and I had a good time building it.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Ernie, that looks great!!! A bit too small for my old eyes to try. I really like the reflective tint on the periscopes and even in 1/72, it shows up well in the pics...

Prost
Allen

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
That's an excellent result Ernie.
Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.
Wow Ernie, that looks great!!! A bit too small for my old eyes to try. I really like the reflective tint on the periscopes and even in 1/72, it shows up well in the pics...

Prost
Allen
Thank you, it is a bit small for my old eyes too :smiling3: but it was in the stash so I figured I would give it a go. 1/72 scale armor is not a subject I actively pursue so it was a definite change of pace! And definitely one I will not partake of often :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Ernie, a nice model indeed and thank you for the hint about the fingernail foil; I learned something new.
Thank you, glad I could pass on something useful with the nail foil.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ernie,

congratulations on getting
download THE DOGS.jpg

Love the track imprints esp.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Congrats on the "Dogs" Ernie....Fine looking model even though it was in the "oven" for so long, it turned out a winner. :thumb2:

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
Nice work indeed
Ernie,
That is a cracking result.
Thank you, very much appreciated!

Ernie,

congratulations on getting
View attachment 482725

Love the track imprints esp.
Thank you, Sir, very much! I am honored!

Congrats on the "Dogs" Ernie....Fine looking model even though it was in the "oven" for so long, it turned out a winner. :thumb2:
Thank you, sir, for the congrats and compliment on the model! Many of my builds take a while. I recently found one I started in about 1977 :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: I am going to try to finish it this year, maybe :smiling4:

• Wow
Reactions: JR

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely job ernie , the old matchbox armour kits are great arent they , Im rather partial to them myself even though im mainly an aircraft builder . Nice touch with the viewing ports, I did the same on my airfix scorpion but used holographic confetti to get the same effect , little touches like that can really lift an old kit , cheers tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ernie.
Don't worry about finishing things, there are some on here that never do ( No names , you know who you are )
Or like me don't even get going .:crying: