matt varnish help needed

W

wbk666

Ive been using windsor & newton Galaria acrylic matt varnish and no matter how i brush it on it always seems to dry streaky.

any suggestions?

T

tecdes

\ said:
Ive been using windsor & newton Galaria acrylic matt varnish and no matter how i brush it on it always seems to dry streaky.any suggestions?
What are you applying the Varnish to Wayne ie what type of paint ? Is the paint you are applying it to well cured as if it is not this is a good indication of your problems. Paint may feel dry but it needs to cure well.

I would try thinning it then try a practice piece.

Alternative try Vallejo.

Laurie

W

wbk666

applying it to acrylic thats had a coat of "future" using a smallish, soft brush.

I read the instructions and it says to just apply thin coats allowing 24 hours between coats but thats just not working for me :sad:

I may try thinning it as it seems quite a thick liquid when in the bottle, i have an old kit i use for practising things on.

N

noble

Hi Wayne i have found Vallajo matt varnish excellent it can be mixed with water to thin and does not leave streaks even on klear.

scott

W

wbk666

thanks i'll give it a try, i use their primer and paints so i may as well :D

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi wayne , i use the Galeria varnish with the airbrush and its brilliant , ive brushed it a few times too and youre right , sometimes it can get a bit streaky , but i found thinning it slightly with water and giving two coats (with at least a day in between ) its fine. Just be careful to avoid runs , use a wide flat brush if possible. cheers tony

W

wbk666

i've done a couple of experiments with it last night, i'll see if it worked later, thanks.

A

andygh

I've tried loads of matt varnishes, none have been perfect, especially for figures where even a hint of gloss looks awful. The best by far has been Testors Dullcote