Matt varnish that's really matt?

N

Normal Norman

Is there such a thing as an airbrushable varnish suitable for use over Vallejo acrylics which actually dries matt, as opposed to sort-of matt, low sheen, or not-quite-satin?

I'm after something which dries dead flat in the same way that the XF-series Tamiya paints do, and I thought I'd found it in Vallejo Model Color Matt Acrylic Varnish. However, having looked at a couple of videos and a selection of write-ups about it, I get the impression that it dries more low-sheen than matt.

Any suggestions please?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The ‘mattest’ I have seen is AK Interactive Ultra Matt Varnish.

J

Jens Andrée

I've started experimenting with ignoring varnish all together and as long as you are careful not to use solvent based paints on top of easily dissolved acrylics it works fine!
Ok, if you make a mistake in weathering you're stuffed because there's no undo method apart from respraying, but the matt colours look a lot better this way and weathering only takes a bit more effort - and worn out brushes ;)

I'm using Vallejo matt varnish when I just have to use varnish, but flat/matt it ain't...

N

Normal Norman

Barry, thank you for that recommendation. I've just had a quick squint at a YouTube demo of it and it does indeed seem to do the biz.

And Jens, thank you for the confirmation that Vallejo Matt isn't!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I've been using the Winsor & Newton Galeria varnishes for a while. I'm not sure how matt their matt is on a mattness scale, but it looks pretty damn matt to me. :smiling3:

N

Normal Norman

Thanks Bob. I was going to give the AK stuff a go, but it seems to be a bit scarce in the UK at present!

ETA - just ordered some of the Galeria matt varnish online, delivered for £3.80 less than the nearest art shop wants for the same thing if I do a 16 mile round trip to their premises ...

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

I have used nothing but a Testors Dullcoat ever since I found it. It is lacquer based but used correctly, it is really matt and robust. Not everyone’s cup of tea but it works for me.

Not sure if you're after acrylic varnish or not but I found the enamel Xtracolour XDFF matt varnish to be super flat.

I actually stopped using it partly because it was too matt!

J

John Rixon

Yup, that AK Ultra Matt is well matt, as is Testors Dullcote, harder to find, but brilliant too! Winsor & Newton is loveley stuff to work with, and you can really slow its drying time with W&N retarder, allowing it to really self level. However, It is not entirely matt, as in proper flat with no sheen.

N

Normal Norman

Winsor & Newton is loveley stuff to work with ... However, It is not entirely matt, as in proper flat with no sheen.

Oh poo. I've got some arriving today! Still, I've just managed to find somebody who actually has this AK stuff in stock, so with any luck it'll be with me sometime next week.

Assuming the AK turns up, what do I thin it with for airbrushing?

J

John Rixon

Well, I'd use acrylic thinners - X20-A or Vallejo, but now I brew my own, and I'll use that for all varnishes. Its a piece of p**s, and you get to use quality retarder and flow improver. Basically its IPA (99%) water, W&N Retarder and Vallejo Flow improver. I go for 60:40 IPA to Water, then add the other ingredients. As I aleady had the retarder and flow improver, it works out at £1 per 200 ml!

N

Normal Norman

Cheers John. I've got the IPA, the water and Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver, so the next (and for your sake hopefully last!) question is - how much Retarder and Flow Improver per 100/200ml?

J

John Rixon

Cheers John. I've got the IPA, the water and Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver, so the next (and for your sake hopefully last!) question is - how much Retarder and Flow Improver per 100/200ml?
I put 3 ml of each. I suspect that the quantities of these are not at all critical, as with retarder, you can use up to 40% with acrylic paint! So you can always add a couple more drops to your cup if you want to slow it down even more - not with that odd Vallejo stuff, I really don't understand why they made that the consistency of Vaseline! Winsor and Newton and Liquitex are both readily available and superb. I must say, since I've been using this home made stuff, I am seeing Model Air in a more favourable light, although Tamiya is my paint of choice, I'm getting far better and more reliable results with Vallejo now.

J

John Rixon

Mine is, provided I give it a really good shaking (then shake it a bit more).

Pete
I don't know how you are managing this, I made many attempts, shaking for 3 minutes, trying countless thinning ratios - from neat to 70/30 thinner/varnish, and it always had a slight sheen, or eggshell finish. Don't get me wrong, this is good stuff, and I use it quite a lot, but it ain't what I call matt.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thanks Bob. I was going to give the AK stuff a go, but it seems to be a bit scarce in the UK at present!

I stock the full range of AK products, I sold the last ultra matt yesterday but Ammo's Lucky Varnish ultra matt is pretty much the same product. click on the banner top right :thumb2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I don't know how you are managing this, I made many attempts, shaking for 3 minutes, trying countless thinning ratios - from neat to 70/30 thinner/varnish, and it always had a slight sheen, or eggshell finish. Don't get me wrong, this is good stuff, and I use it quite a lot, but it ain't what I call matt.
Maybe one of us has a slightly different bottle? Or something in the spraying technique? It does seem to have a very slight sheen if sprayed wet. I've never thinned it.

Pete

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Maybe one of us has a slightly different bottle? Or something in the spraying technique? It does seem to have a very slight sheen if sprayed wet. I've never thinned it.

Pete

Same here, sprayed straight from the bottle and a nice matt finish, I certainly wouldn't describe it as eggshell??

Last edited:
J

John Rixon

Same here, sprayed straight from the bottle and a nice matt finish, I certainly wouldn't describe it as eggshell??
Ok, I confess that yesterday, I shook it for the best part of 5 minutes, then brushed it over an old model, and it came out fully matt - clear proff, if we needed it, that shaking it means shaking it untill your wrist hurts! On the plus side, my watch is fully wound up now...

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Ok, I confess that yesterday, I shook it for the best part of 5 minutes, then brushed it over an old model, and it came out fully matt - clear proff, if we needed it, that shaking it means shaking it untill your wrist hurts! On the plus side, my watch is fully wound up now...
John. Why not get a paint shaker? I find mine invaluable, saves a lot of time and hard work. Mine is actually a nail varnish shaker. Google it or find one on Amazon.