Mazda 767B 1:24 Hasegawa

K

karoliens

Some time has passed already since I started this kit but I decided to create a thread so that I could receive some feedback and suggestions if I run into any problems. I am quite new to this hobby even though I have quite extensive experience with paper models. It is my second plastic kit so I still learning from my mistakes and applying different techniques.

I've finished wheels even though I had difficulties applying decals and damaged couple of them in the process:
DSC_0281.JPG

Finished dashboard:
DSC_0285.JPG

And the cockpit:
DSC_0275.JPG

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
who nicked all the other parts phone the police quick lol. Nice start keep the pics coming :D

T

Trekkie_John

Going to keep an eye on this build, always loved the 787.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice start Karolis . the 787 is a fave of mine too , ever since myself and my son drove one at Le Mans (on Gran Turismo!)

P

PWick

Nice start to this build. Impressive car, a friend of mine who has been going to Le Mans for about 35 years was a pit signaller for this car driven by Johnny Herbert.

K

karoliens

Thank you guys. I am a huge fanboy of rotary Mazdas and 767/787 is an icon for me and one of the most favourite racing cars.

All the other parts are being prepared or waiting for their turn but I do have them James. :smiling3: Haha I also have my own 787 which I occasionally drive as well... in Assetto Corssa. :D Wow Patrick that must have been quite a sight for you friend. By the way the one which I am building is 767 which technically is quite different from 787 even though they look the same. J. Herbert was driving '91 Le Mans winning 787B mine 767B was driven during '89 and finished 7th.

I finished painting the body. I am not not completely happy with the result as quite a lot of dust got onto the paint job and and while detailing a small part I missed my target with brush and painted outside it on the body. I tried to quickly clean it with a q tip but just made it worse. Now around this part I have some green shade. It is small area but it still bothers me.
DSC_0333.JPG DSC_0335.JPG DSC_0344.JPG

I put the body on the chassis to have a look what end result I could expect and of wow it looks so good.
DSC_0336.JPG

And I have also installed headlamps.
DSC_0338.JPG DSC_0340.JPG

For this kit I started using H&S Evo airbrush and Vallejo Model Air paints. So far I am very pleased with the airbrush and paints. It is very important for me that the paints do not smell bad and toxic and Vallejo Model Air is more than that. They actually smell like candies. :D The quality and self levelling ability is also very good. I do not understand why people complaint at all about these paints. They say they are weak but once you prime the surface I would say they are quite durable. I used enamel mixed with hardware store turpentine and this compo is total crap I had problem that paint will come off after handling for detailing. But it is solved when I used recommended thinner for the paints. The only disadvantages of Model Air would be that they drying super fast and could clog AB but once you get used to it they are very good. I sprayed without flow improver thinned to 1:3 ratio and haven't had any problems. You just need to prepare more or less exact amount of paint that you need for particular part and clean the AB immediately after painting.
I painted some parts with Humbrol enamel. And it also goes beautifully through AB and the finish is nice as well.

Now some questions:

1. I would like to apply varnish after I apply all the decals. I will be using Vallejo Model Air glossy varnish. Should I apply a coat before placing decals and then another coat after or could I apply decals directly after painting and then apply a coat of varnish?
2. Being a racing car it has a lot of decals an some of them need to be laid around uneven surfaces and cavities. I do not have decal set so is there other way to soften decals and apply them nicely? Decal setter and fix is on my next buying list since I like to have bigger order and buy what I need at once. So I am wondering if there is another solution to set decals nicely.
3. Any glue that could adhere paint to paint and do not make a mess. It would be very useful for me when working with small pieces which are already painted. I gooogled and found out that some guys are using bob industries glue. Do you have experience with it?

K

karoliens

IMG_20180212_222750.jpgIMG_20180212_222835.jpgIMG_20180212_222905.jpg

Quick update: I've almost finished applying decals only two left which will go on the front. I am particularly having problems applying another 202 decal on the front right side in the fender headlamp area. As the decal is quite big I can not get it nicely around that rounded fender and I could not see how I could do it without damaging. I will order microscale setting solutions and I assume it will be easier. But is there other way to soften the decal to be able to shape it round those edges?
Originally this black/green pattern was supposed to be applied as decals but as I found almost impossible to shape them around those edges and crevices I just airbrushed it. Should I do the same with 202 decal?

P.S. As my only second kit it appeared to be too difficult for me.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Karolis, it's a lot easier to get decals to conform if you use a gloss varnish first - have you done that? If so then Microsoft and Microset can work miracles. I've used Humbrol Decalfix in the past but found it to be not as good as Micoset and Microsol.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Forgot to say, that model is looking good!

Pete

K

karoliens

Thank you Pete! I guess I will be ordering Microscale products soon. Unfortunately I have not applied any varnish yet as I planned to apply it after I have all the decals set. Now I read that it helps to prevent decal silvering if you have applied varnish before but does it help to mould the decals around the irregular shapes and edges as well?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It will make them slip more easily to the correct place, and protect what you've already done (decals and paint) from any effects of the Microscale stuff.
I read on another forum that you can soften decals with Tamiya thinners, but I wouldn't want to risk it on such a nice model.

Pete

K

karoliens

Almost finished this kit. Not quite happy with the result but being it only a second kit I guess it is acceptable. :smiling3:

IMG_20180221_001140.jpgIMG_20180221_001049.jpgIMG_20180221_001203.jpgIMG_20180221_001003.jpg

R_G

Member left By Request
Has left the Building
First Name
Ralph
It's more than acceptable! Looks pretty nice considering it's only your second kit! :cool: :thumb2:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Great looking build! Next time give the Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear a go.

K

karoliens

Thank you guys! I will definitely try to use different varnish next time as I could not figure out how to spray Vallejo varnish to get nice finish.