Me109G-14 1/48 Ventura aka 109 on a budget

T

treyzx10r

I saw this kit on Evil-bay and thought for less than $12 with shipping why not give it a go. I've done limited run kits before so I knew what I was in for. Thought it would be good to show that with some effort you do'nt need to shell out big bucks for a decent kit. I'm not bashing the other Kit manufactures ,hey who does'nt love the fit and finish of the Has 109's? Sometimes less is more ,and with the limited run kits you will develop other modelling skills you wo'nt neccessarily use with the fall together kits. No aftermarket upgrades in this just a few bits out of the spare bin to add to the spartan office. I used the kit decals and finished it with Model Master enamels. Total build time 2 days. Heres a shot of what to expect with the sprues on limited run kits

109_zpset1ghtkl.jpg

Sprue gates the size of tree limbs,but hey thats the point building skills right? Trim everything away that does'nt need to be there without damaging the part.

White 15 was the decal offering and I actually found a pic of it complete with bullet holes

Me109G14-White15-Germany-May1945-32f-s_zps1voypfvj.jpg

The finished kit

109G14%20012_zps8gkf7yxi.jpg

109G14%20014_zpsy2pss8nw.jpg

109G14%20016_zpsvklunebu.jpg

109G14%20001_zps73ucslct.jpg

109G14%20002_zpsst9d59bg.jpg

109G14%20011_zpsjlnyevab.jpg

109G14%20006_zpslo91bvpt.jpg

109G14%20017_zps3kxkf18o.jpg

Given the short amount of time I spent building this its easy to see you could do a lot more with this type of kit in the detailing and finish.

Also you could upgrade with a/m goodies but unless it was a off the beaten path subject you'de be right back to the same money(or more) for a cleaner molding. Hope this was informitave or at least mildly amusing,cheers Trey

First Name
Robert
This looks great Trey ( I really like the budget build story and your skills have turned this baby around and given it a really great build ( great pics and background photo/ info too

I like this a lot

Cheers

Robert

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great looking build ,Trey,I do real like the camo on this one, ;)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Trey I've built a limited run kit once and i know what you mean about the flash and sprue joints, you've done a cracking job on this one and I really like the colour scheme.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That first shot , the kit looked horrible......... But you have produced a real "Gem" out of it Trey. Top work matey.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice work Trey, good topic too.

A nice balance of cheapness combined with skill to produce a lovely model.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I didn't even know Ventura did a G-14 :smiling3: I've seen a two seat trainer kit (originally by Falcon??) sold by Jays who bought the Ventura molds. It looked as horrible as yours did before you built it.

It looks to be an accurate shape and you've done a very nice job with it.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone,much appreciated! Steve I was as surprised to see the Ventura G-14 as well that was another reason I had to jump on it. I set it next to my Has kit and the outline was almost identical so if Has got it right then Ventura did a good job. The instructions called for RLM 83/75 on the tops , I mixed my own 83 is it even close to being correct?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent result Trey.

It's good to build a 'Dog' now and then. It would be very boring if every kit I bought just fell together.

Sometimes, we all have to push ourselves - to test our patience if nothing else!

Well done,

Ron

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Ron , Yes if they all fell together we would have no fun (or things to complain about to one another) ;)

D

Doug Hughes

That's a great result from a not very promising kit, Trey. Like others, I love the paint job - especially the subtle mottling on the fuselage.