Me262 two for one.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is what happens when you mix 1/32 and 1/35 scale in the same dio.

I think that the 'third leg' of the sitting man is actually the corner of the crate that he is sitting on.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Back to the work in progress ! I appear to have most of the bits required to make an Me262. I'm really hoping to have major construction done by stumps tomorrow evening,i.e. before I'm away from the bench for a week.

We'll see!

Anyway,here are the big bits.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 22340

big bits..jpg

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
I think it's just that 3 & 4 are very short (probably to fit into a 109 cockpit). If you look at number 2 and visualise him standing, he is much closer in height to number 1, for example compare knee height between 1 & 2.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
O.K. boy's, Steve has been very patient with us posting amusing comments about that picture but let's come back to the subject matter...his ME262 + 2!

However, and only 'cos I can pull rank,(lol) I would like to have the last say on the photo in question.........

Doesn't No.3 look like Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits?

Line drawn Steve, and thanks on behalf of all us so called humourists for allowing the use of your thread in such a way.

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You carry on chaps,I'm enjoying it as much as everyone else! Hopefully I can find another photo worthy of such fun and games. I bet that bloke can fly an Fw190 better than Knopfler!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
O.K. boy's, I guess I got the vibes a bit out so.......Belay that last order!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
No worries! It's all good fun and in the end (hopefully) I'll get the Me262 two for one done as well.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
After hours of tireless digging your intrepid researcher has found another picture! Well not really. It is from the same time and features the same four men. Sadly there are no twins,no giants and definitely no third legs.

As for the Me262,I've got all major construction done but there will be a break until next weekend before I can get her in the body shop to sort a couple of minor problems and then onto the first "finish".

Cheers

Steve

I think the chap on the right (as we look) resembles Oscar Wilde. That might explain all the leather LOL.

View attachment 22362

majors..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Right then,I puttied all the gaps etc last night and rubbed it all down this morning. Gave it a squirt of good old Halfords grey plastic primer and voila!

As sometimes happens this has revealed that I've a little more work to do at the trailing edge/engine attachment. After that a few squirts of various greys (for the putty),masking and a selection of Alclads to give the first "finish".

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 22483

primed..jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Plan B. I didn't fancy masking every "panel" on the airplane...too much like a giant and complicated canopy! I've finally decided that the best colour for the putty is RLM 02. I've sprayed the whole thing in 02 and intend to mask the rivet lines with Blu-Tac and spray various shades of Alclad. I've got five shades available. It's just over complicated reverse preshading really!

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 22492

View attachment 22493

RLM02..jpg

alclad..jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I masked and sprayed the upper wings over the weekend and unmasked this morning. My lack of photographic skills means that I've failed miserably to show the shading of the aluminium finish. Furtunately,or unfortunately, depending on your point of view,I reckon it looks good enough to warrant me continuing to do the rest of the model. It will take a while and feels like a lot of work for an ephemeral finish which,since I'll be covering it up, I won't be able to weather etc!

Lower wing masking this evening.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 22503

Upper wings..jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good so far! My vote goes to finninsh it 100% then buy another to do in the painted version. Pity to hide all that work under the top paint!

Alcad, whats that like to work with??

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Looking good so far! My vote goes to finninsh it 100% then buy another to do in the painted version. Pity to hide all that work under the top paint!Alcad, whats that like to work with??
The thought crossed my mind...briefly LOL. I'll take some photos and finish it off. I don't have room for two Me 262s and I've already got one or two in the loft! I've never had any problems with Alclad. The "Polished Aluminium" and,I think, "Chrome" finishes are supposed to be applied over a gloss black undercoat. I've never used "Chrome" but I've applied "Polished Aluminium" over a grey primer,just like all the other shades, and it looks okay. I'm not looking for a concourse classic car kind of finish anyway. The differences in the shades are subtle and I'm going to add a drop or two of black enamel to a couple to up the contrast a bit.

Alclad also dries very quickly and rarely lifts with masking,certainly no worse than acrylic paints. You can seal it with a coat of Klear with only a very slight change in appearance.

They are laquer based and are quite "hot". They will etch into plastic if spilt,as I found out the hard way. They spray very well out of the bottle and clean up with cellulose (laquer) thinners. All this hot stuff means I use an old Iwata Revolution airbrush as it has less damageable seals and washers than my other brushes,it sprays a treat,despite the loss of a little chrome!

All the natural metal on this P-47 was done with Alclad, except the gun tubes.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 22511

View attachment 22512

P47 2crop..jpg

P47 3rop..jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
More progress....had a good go today as the job I was supposed to be doing "went away". I will overspray all this,it's not good enough to keep in bare metal but,when tidied up, will still give a decent representation of an unpainted 262. Canopy etc tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Steve

View attachment 22517

alclads..jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've decided not to do a two for one but to finish this in its NMF. Thanks to IanM for making me think about it and to the Luftwaffe for their simplified late war markings. This has enabled me to mask and spray the national markings and swastikas. I'm going to finish it as this one found hiding in the woods by the americans. I just need to make a decal for the werk nummer (the one in the odd place below the horizontal stabiliser.) It doesn't appear to have acquired most of the stencils you'd expect,I suppose time ran out for them.

View attachment 22533

View attachment 22534

262putty..jpg

markings..jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great :cool2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Steve. I think you made the right choice.

Looks the bees wotsits!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks fellas. All work is temporarily suspended but I'm near enough the finishing line to fit it in with the GB and still kid myself I'm only doing one at a time. Dangly bits are all ready to go,including canopy parts,then just a little weathering. I won't overdo it as the thing must have been virtually brand new!

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

Excellent work there Steve! That looks really good & just like the pics at the start of your thread. I might have a go at that Alclad stuff-I wonder if it could work as a base-coat for armour......

Patrick