MG Magnette Converted

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys and Gals,
Lately the sweet shop has been flooded with military heavy posts by refugees from a long gone site. Many have hidden affections for non military subjects so much so we sometimes camouflage our builds for that ex-site associating it with a connection to a war movie. I'm happy Scale models site supports any genre. Now the Battle of Britain gave me a chance to model something civilian without infringing on the ex-sites rules. This came in the form of the MG Magnette or whatever that car was that I had to convert as close as possible with and available Airfix kit shown here...

1970s_243327178.jpg

To this...

mag0061.jpg mgtc51uu.jpg

It all starts from opening the box and surveying what needed to be cut and replaced. So let the modifications begin...

mag0001.jpg mag0002.jpg

The kit although old was quite nice but shallow in detail at certain areas. I noticed the dash board was at an angle for this model of MG and had to be straightened for the movie version.

mag0003.jpg mag0004.jpg

The spoked wheels were really good with no flash to clean up at all. I drew some directional lines for cutting and added extentions to the back...

mag0005.jpg mag0006.jpg

You can clearly see the amount of cut I had to do for the dash board and it's not even to be straight but with two humps as you will see in the next accompanying photos.

mag0007.jpg mag0008.jpg

Here you see the back extention made up from plastic card and thick shims so I could sand the corners round.

mag0009.jpg mag0013.jpg

I extended the top also by using a small strip of the existing lip to save on restoring detail.

mag0014.jpg mag0017.jpg mag0016.jpg mag0010.jpg

The dash board as you can see is a major modification. I traced out the unique hump shape on a 1mm card strip.

mag0011.jpg mag0012.jpg

The strip was attached with some added dials and switches

mag0018.jpg

I've run out of image space so more will come later in the next post.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Paul. I don't do shiny stuff much and this was really a challenge to keep it squeekly clean. I don't think it's even accurately modified. Just touch and go and for the fun of it.

The actual movie car isn't even WW2 vintage but a model that came out in 1948.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Richard
Terrific work my friend. I would also like to know how you manage to post your photos in that way. A lot better than large photos one after the other
Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve,

The images are smaller than usual. You will have to adjust the image size in Photoshop. These are 576 x 432. They can go smaller to fit three to five images in a row. It's trial and error.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, while the dashboard facing cured i tackled the side louvre that was for the exhaust.

mag0019.jpg mag0020.jpg

I then added a lip to the dash board which acted as leather trim and I changed the head for the driver with an appropriate resin one from my stash.

mag0021.jpg mag0022.jpg

I replaced thick pla card to the side board edging that was cut away from the modification. Two part putty was used for the dash front and louvre detailing done ala zimmerit with a flat screw driver.

mag0023.jpg mag0025.jpg

Extra leftover putty weas spread over the back tarpaulin cover. The louvres aren't exactly state of the art but I was happy with it.

mag0026.jpg mag0027.jpg

Lots of puttying and alignment adjustments ahead, something that is expected from an old kit. Such things don't need chucking into the bin 'cos it doesn't align. :smiling4:

mag0028.jpg mag0029.jpg

While the putty cured I moved onto the next phase of the build.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Marcello
Hi Richard,
very nice work so far. I am always very impressed with modifications, and this is no exception

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Cool conversion!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Marcello, Jimbo, Ian and Gavin,

Seriously a fun build is when it's straight out of the box and finished within the weekend. But these days sometimes the expectations demand a certain level of completeness coupled with wanting to better the next build can be tiresome. Fun for me is if it's scary enough and making the attempt. Just looked at the link...so Douglas did have one of these...cool. Thanks

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,

We're now giving attention to the back which was extaended sanded and smoothed down.
mag0030.jpg mag0031.jpg

The side doors were given the right contuors and extentions were prepared to make the running boards. Judging by the ink work there was a lot of calculating to be done before bending and cutting the size correctly.

mag0032.jpg mag0033.jpg

The pieces were joined and gaps filled up. Meanwhile the doors shapes were scored. Black primer was sprayed in areas to check on blemishes.

mag0034.jpg mag0035.jpg

The othe running board was duplicated making sure that it was similar

mag0036.jpg mag0037.jpg

Puttying with two part putty made up the rest of the shape of the running board especially towards the front mudguard using my finger and water to smoothen it out.

mag0038.jpg mag0039.jpg

Wet sanding and polishing sticks did the rest. Looks crude at this stage but with primer on would look better.

mag0040.jpg mag0041.jpg

Thanks for looking in...C & C welcomed.

Cheers,
Richard

O

OneSmallStep1966

You’ve got some impressive scratch building modifications going on there, superb stuff :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jimbo and Norman,
Surprised you've not seen this Jimbo. If it wasn't for the GB that I was building this for, Norman, I wouldn't have scratch built and left it as an OOB build. The original kit itself is a classic.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Scottie, my skills are just passable compared to some modellers I've seen...here's the primed body work...

mag0042.jpg mag0043.jpg

It' shows a lot of wee places to fill and correct.

mag0044.jpg mag0045.jpg

After sanding plus hinges to the door added and one more coat of primer to smooth things out. The wheel spokes and tyres were also painted.

mag0046.jpg mag0047.jpgmag0048.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
I sort of remember the car as a finished model but I've not seen the progress shots.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Richard

Just had a good catch up on this one. Some wonderful additions and detailing. How many builds do you have on the go at the moment?

Steve