Mig Pigments

J

John Rixon

I've bought pigments from a variety of manufacturers, just to test the water, as it were, and I'm finding that I like the Mig colours fine, but the quality of the pigments is variable - i.e. I'm getting little white "bombs" appearing as I stipple the stuff onto my wheels!! Also they are lumpy as hell. Am I unlucky, or are other folks finding the same problem? Vallejo and Humbrol are fine, but Humbrol is such a limited range, and the Vallejo have an odd naming policy, which doesn't seem to match up with the swatches (yeah, that old chestnut again!) in the websites...

I may have to give Flory ones a go next. Your thoughts, folks?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use the AK Interactive ones, they have a good range of colours and are nioce to use. I have found them much better than vallejo. Not used Mig though.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
I use the AK Interactive ones, they have a good range of colours and are nioce to use. I have found them much better than vallejo. Not used Mig though.
Ah, I haven't tried them yet, do you mix colours? I've found them all to be readily mixable, but these mig ones alwaus need a bit of extra grinding! Love AK products, must have a look at their range. Ta for that.

F

Fenlander

Flory ones are very fine. Appears a limited range but they mix with each other very well so you can easily adjust them for what you want or just to get subtle changes on a theme. Mig can be a bit lumpy I have found but usually the lumps break up with the brush. Not tried AK as yet.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I use Mig and haven't had any issues with them, no clumps and some I have had a while, I also use the Mig pigment fixer, don't know if that makes a difference.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
I use Mig and haven't had any issues with them, no clumps and some I have had a while, I also use the Mig pigment fixer, don't know if that makes a difference.
I suspect that all pigment fixers,are a diluted version of pure distilled turpentine, the smell is so distinctive to an old artist (!) but much milder than the full-fat stuff oil painters use. It really does fix it though, and I'm a bit puzzled how, but hey ho!

One thing I have noticed today, is that despite being careful, mostly down to the fact that they are expensive(!) I can now feel that I've inhaled a bit...so it's a bra-cup mask for me tomorrow.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Flory ones are very fine. Appears a limited range but they mix with each other very well so you can easily adjust them for what you want or just to get subtle changes on a theme. Mig can be a bit lumpy I have found but usually the lumps break up with the brush. Not tried AK as yet.
Good that they mix well, I've been surprised at how easy it is to get new shades with these things, and so far, the Tiger has been weathered using purely oil paint and pigments!

D

Deleted member 4539

I only ever used Pastel's.Such a vast range of colours.

Never bought pigments aimed at modeller's.

First Name
Adrian
I did use MIG's but swapped last year to Flory and have to say I'm very happy, true they don't have such a wide range but the 6 colours are enough for my needs anyway :smiling3:

Adrian