Mini files

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Do any of you fine folk know where I can get some really thin flat files for filling thin slots. I have a selection of needle files but their cross sections are to thick.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Do any of you fine folk know where I can get some really thin flat files for filling thin slots. I have a selection of needle files but their cross sections are to thick.
Not cheap Paul, but clockmakers escapement files might do the job. Failing that, drill and piercing saw are probably the way to go. Last option, use an Olfa P cutter to scribe your way through.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

I have a couple of 'old' Points files from the bygone days of points ignition in ICE motors. They are about 1 maybe 1.5mm thick, stiff and sharp- only negativ is they are 1cm wide!
These might be of more use to you. also @AlanG who has a comparable problem with cutting slots.
https://www.scalespot.com/reviews/tools/tamiya-engraver/review.htm

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I use a metal nail file which is about 0.75mm thick,and I have one that I ground down to about 3mm wide. Worth having a look in superdrug?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys, some excellent ideas. Many thanks for the suggestions I will have a look.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
scottie,
I use various grades of wet n dry attached to either thin metal sheet cut to size or plasticard with double sided tape to get into the crevices others cannot reach. Obviously you will not be putting too much preasure on the sanding so this might help.
Cheers
Mike.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Paul, Ultimate Modelling Products do customisable cut to shape sanding pads, they are about a mil thick.