Miniart 1/16 Musketeer

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_2988.JPG

I thought I'd have another go at this Miniart kit - I've made a couple of versions of it in the past and it can turn out OK. My last effort was to try an depict a more English looking musketeer of the ECW period and I may go that way again - it all depends on the level of finish I can get with construction.

Here are the sprues:

100_2987.JPG

Not too bad this one - some in the past have been a true celebration of flash.

Here goes....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
my attempts at the MiniArt figures have been miserable - all now landfill! ( English Knight & Legionnaire ). Very poor fit, and loads of filler needed - is the Musketeer different?
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
You know the oft quoted definition of "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result"? :smiling4:
Dave

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Yeah Dave - I'm beginning to realise that. So much sanding and filling there's hardly any original plastic left.

D

Deleted member 6559

The beast is built and ready for painting:

100_2997.JPG100_2989.JPG

The fit of parts was pretty poor and a lot of sanding and filling was required. The two part kit arms only met at a couple of places along the joins so I abandoned them and used some chopped about spares. I had to replace some of the of the finer detail, as a lot of it was very brittle and broke away.

I have no great expectations of this one.......

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
As he stands he has a distinctly Spanish look about him.Any thoughts about modifying him for a more ECW look?
Jon.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Well done to get this far. I am sure that with your skills he will turn out great - providing he does not join Dave's attempts!!
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Jon - He's meant to be Netherlandish, but the look applies to pretty much all of Europe at the time. I have built one of these as ECW, though that was just a case of dulling down the colours and getting rid of excess decoration. To do it properly I'd have to make the clothing a lot more loose fitting, which is beyond my skills.

Jim - He may yet join Dave's in the landfill.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Certainly a challenge mate.The equipment supplied looks rather nicd.Just a shame the moulding side of things leaves much to be desired.Hope you can work something out.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard. It is a challenge, and I forget every time I order what a struggle these kits are. That said, they're dirt cheap, so it doesn't matter so much if they end in the bin.

Here's the head:

100_3007.JPG

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

Back from. Week's holiday in the Cotswolds and I am catching up on all the builds.

Peter- am I right in thinking you had a go at one of these on the old MM forum? The painting of the head looks fine, even with the rather strange sculpting of his mouth.

Peter

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not the unmentionable MiniArt, thought you had done away with them.
I'm putting my safety helmet on, this front row can get hairy.
John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - A week in the Cotswolds sounds like something I could do with - hope you had a good time. I did build one of these as an ECW subject a couple of years ago, but I thought I'd have another go and use brighter colours. As Miniart faces go, this one ain't too bad.

John - I know I always say never again, but I keep being drawn back. Must crave the challenge. The finished figures are never going to be competition standard, but just getting them finished is enough of a reward. Miniart were going to bring out a whole load of new figures in the range; more Napoleonics and some cracking looking medieval archers, but the troubles hit the Ukraine and then they seem to have dropped the idea - I hope not because of all the moaning by the likes of me!

Reactions: JR

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another great start with a super head, the feathers and puritan collar do make an interesting contrast.

Fashion does seem inexplicable at times even in history.

See what you mean with the filler, but it looks like a solid base for another project

Have a good day with the brighter colours

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

Yes, can't say his get-up looks totally practical. Waiting for some varnish to dry at the moment, having painted most of the clothing - touch and go as to whether I carry on with it......

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Head looks fine even if the moulding is rather poor. I hope this does go the distance as I really like these colourful figures.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim - Well, not sure........

100_3010.JPG100_3011.JPG

I started off by trying the box art colour scheme, but it looked awful. I've gone for this simplified version instead - hopefully with the equipment in place there will be plenty to look at.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I think hes turned out really rather nicely Peter.Face and headgear are really well done as usual mate.Clothing looks really eye catching.Turned a sows ear into silk purse Mr.D.
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Well I think like Richard. Your skills are definitely making a silk purse from the piggies ear.
Jim